HELP!! Hoop Run Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hamptons06, May 16, 2010.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    So I built the frame and put up the wire stock panels but I have a problem and need some help.... the center of the panels won't stay up. They keep buckling in the center. What can I use to keep them up? I keep looking at pictures and don't see anyone using anything obvious. I bet this is something so simple that I'll just laugh at myself. [​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I honestly have no idea -- are you trying to make it too wide? will it be stable once you have the ends on?

Basically I am only replying to bump this up to the top for ya [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    are you trying to make it too wide?

That would be the most logical reason.
    There has to be enough arch to be self supporting​

4. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    What are the dimensions at the base? The front and back in width should be somewhere close to 8.5'-10.0' too much or too little of a arch and you will have problems. The depth doesn't matter, just however long you want. All of this info is for the 16' panels.

Here's a link to a really beefy hoop coop- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3227009 hope it helps.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    It's 8' x 8'. I thought for sure that would be big enough.

6. Mtn Cur

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    So your using two of the 4 x 16 cattle panels you buy at tsc? [​IMG] If so you shouldn't have any sag at all. The cattle "panels" are a large diameter wire and should be self supporting when arched and anchored.

If it is a roll of wire for fencing cattle you may need a center support.

7. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:It was a roll wire.... but the metal is thick and 2"x4" openings. Exactly the kind I'm seeing in all these hoop coop pics.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It was a roll wire.... but the metal is thick and 2"x4" openings. Exactly the kind I'm seeing in all these hoop coop pics.

"Roll" wire is nowhere NEAR the thickness of a cattle panel.

Cattle panel rods are around 1/4 inch indiameter​

9. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    yep for wire you would need a frame the cattle panels are the easiest fastest way then if you need more protection add wire because now you have a frame....

10. Mtn Cur

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    Well, You have two options. First is put a support in for the exisiting wire (probably the cheapest solution). Second is buy real cattle panels- around here they are about 20.00 bucks a piece 4'x16'. For the size coop your building you only need two pieces. Whatever your decision, good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by