Help! How can I catch or permanently drive away someone's rooster in my parent's property?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Luckybaby, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Luckybaby

Luckybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    A rooster decided to stay on my parent's property since 2.5 weeks ago. I don't really know who owns the rooster. When I first saw it, it is socializing with my free range chickens. My mom decided to drive it away, about 2 weeks ago, but he came back. I am feeding it for about 14 days, before I stop doing it, since I have to get rid of some of my roosters. About 2.5 months ago someone's hen also came to our property. It stayed in our property for about 1 month before I decide to put it near my neighbor's house. I feed it and give it water, and I think, that it found it's way back to her home, since I saw hen's that has the same feather patterns as her on my neighbor's property.

I already sold and/or given for free 9 roosters, since my neighbor is complaining about them being noisy. I doubt my mom will buy no crow rooster collar or something similar as that for them, and I don't have money to buy those for them, so I decided to get rid of the roosters that I least like. Since the rooster that came in here is noisy and I don't own it, I decided to drive it away. MY BIG PROBLEM is that IT KNOWS HOW TO COME BACK, and IT IS NOT TAME. The hen that came in here was tame, so it is easy to put her near my neighbor's property. The rooster in here is also a SMART rooster. I have had more than 50 chickens and most doesn't know how to come back if they are on the other side of the fence(about 6-7 feet tall made entirely of cemented blocks) and for those that do know how, it would take them at least several hours to figure out, except one which figured it out in less than 2 minutes. I think the rooster figured it out in less than 1 minute. I also tried to use the chasing strategy, since I never fail catching a chicken when I use that strategy. The idea is that, if I chase them for sufficient amount of time continuosly, it will eventually hide somewhere since it is exhausted. So, it is easy to get it, when it squeeze itself on somewhere, where I can easily grab it. However, this rooster tried to use it's wings to fly to my neighbors property, or on the mango tree, if it begins to feel exhausted. I also tried to catch it, when it is roosting on the mango tree at night, by using something long, and on one end, it consist of a wood, where it should put it's feet, so that I can slowly pull it down. It works on all of my chickens, except on that rooster, since it tried to fly to higher branches or to other branch of mango tree, instead of putting it's feet on the wood.

I am trying to permanently drive it away since 3 days ago, and me and my mom had already spend at least 2 hours trying to do it with no success. This rooster also crows loudly starting at 1 am and crow every 30 to 1 hour after that until 6:30 am. When it is 6:30 am and later than that, it will crow a lot. Also, unlike my rooster, this rooster starts to crow on 1 am even though no other rooster start crowing. My roosters only crow if they hear other roosters crowing.

I don't want to kill it, but I think my neighbor will complain again if this will continue for at least few days from now. I don't even know if this chicken has parasites or other disease even though it looks healthy. Since it is not tame, and EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to catch without traps, I am not planning to keep this rooster, since I can't even deworm it and treat it.

I think it also likes to stay in here since there are many hens. I already tried to not give it food and water since 3 days ago. It won't die, since there are a lot of bugs and plants and other places where it can get water.

I strongly believe that someone intentionally put the rooster on or near our property. If it got away, it should know how to come back, since it knows how to come back when I drive it away towards the other side of the fence.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  2. mmmeyer

mmmeyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    south jersey
    I had my hens coop/run open this weekend. I have a rooster who usually stays in a different coop/run with an older hen. before I knew it both the older hen and the rooster was checking out the coop and pen. I normally cannot get too near him but if I needed to catch him I would have been able to do so. Although what to do after you've caught it. My local ASPCA takes in chickens you can try.

3. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    What do you do to catch it? My chickens have chicken coop, but it is inside a big cage. The rooster never tried to go inside the cage, and it is not interested on doing it. In fact, when I try to drive it away, it decided to go to the mango tree, instead of going in the chicken cage, when it is on the fence of the chicken cage. This chicken is UNUSUALLY HARD to catch, unless maybe if I use trap. I also tried to make him fight my other rooster, but once I get close to him while they are fighting, it tried to stay away from me, while trying to fight the chicken. The fight only last about 20 seconds, and when I tried to do it again on the next day, it runs away instead of trying to fight the chicken.

If I catch it, I would cut it's wing feather, so that it can barely fly, so that just in case it manage to come back, it is easier to catch it. Then I will put it near my neighbor's house, since I suspect it came from there.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Do you know where it roosts at night? If it's on your property, you can try to catch it if you can reach it. A fishing net works for catching them during the day. If you don't know where it belongs, you could try giving it away like you did the others.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Where does he roost? Catch him at night when he's asleep. But what to do once you catch him? Perhaps talk to the neighbor that has the chickens that the lone hen came from if they are missing a rooster.

If you cannot find the owner of the rooster, I suspect you will have a hard time keeping him away. Personally, I'd make a good rooster stew.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  6. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    I tried to catch him at 8pm while he is roosting on the mango tree, by using the long ladder and something long with a wood on the end, where he will put his feet. I actually tried it 2 days ago and today, but he doesn't want to put his feet on the wood 2 days ago, and he put his feet back on the branch of the tree, while I am trying to lower it down today. I doubt it would be successful, even though I manage to lower it down and I can get him really close to the hands. Since this chicken is not tame, I think it will try to fly away, if it saw any human body parts close to him, even at night.

I think I saw a rooster, that has the same body color as him when I tried to put back the hen last month. It is only 3 houses away from my parent's house, and if I cut the wing feathers really good, then I don't think it can fly at least 6 feet high, just to reach the top of the fence.

7. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    How do you use a fishing to catch chickens. How big is it? The rooster won't even stay closer than 6 feet away from me, whenever I am nearby, and it walks away fast and farther from me, whenever he see something on my hand.

8. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014
    I am thinking about using my bird cage as a trap. My problem, is that I don't know how to do it, since it will probably run away from the cage, when he see, that I am close to the cage.

9. Luckybaby

Mar 11, 2014

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Just contact the owners and have them get the rooster, or even help them. Then you'll be done with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by