help how do i cure sour crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueseal, Jan 6, 2011.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    one of my 6 month old pullets has sour crop.

2. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i read that not to use grocery store brand apple cider vinager only farm brand apple cider vinager is this true.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    here are some links that may help- can you post specifics? poops, food, maybe pics? yes you need to use organic vinegar, since the grocery store version has all the beneficial bacteria eliminated

Sour crop info

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=414908
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=265740
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=284227
    sour crop

Yes, it is sour crop. The food that is in there has dissolved into a toxic slush. If the crop is still full, you would want to cleanse it and then treat her with probiotics and give her organic apple cider vinegar water for two weeks if she's showing no other symptoms. You also will want to determine the cause of the problem in the first place and fix that.

Glenda Heywood has a good article on cleansing a crop. PM me if you'd like it.

You will want to do this as soon as possible because the liquid in that crop will grow bacteria and yeast and make your bird sick(er).

The probiotics are to replace the bacteria that have been damaged by the toxic contents and pH of the crop dribbling into the rest of her digestive tract. They will also help fight against whatever bad bacteria and yeast make it to that part of the system. The organic apple cider vinegar (1 ounce ACV to one gallon of water) will help correct the digestive tract pH, provide more good bacteria, break down the feedstuff that are in the crop waiting to go through, and also provide more digestive enzymes to break down solid particles in the digestive tract. The pH of ACV at this solution is that of a healthy digestive tract which is unfriendly to good bacteria. the pH of the crop (and thus the digestive tract) now is unfortunately friendly to bad bacteria, so we must change that.

If you see runniness of droppings after four days of treatment after the cleaned crop, let the board know. Let us know in any case, please.

By the way - no more solid foods until she's over this for two weeks. No grains, no grit, nothing but crumbles, probiotics (plain yogurt, acidophilis tablets, etc), maybe the bread if it's soaked in something useful - BUT - it's too friendly for yeast infections, sooooo maybe not. Boiled egg yolks are a good healthy treat and will help her gut. You can also mix the yogurt in a small amount of unsweetened applesauce. The pectin is small, helps clean out the digestive tract of sludge from this, the pH is like ACV (can be used with it), and chickens like the taste so it's a good way to hide probiotics.​

4. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have her isolated in a cage since this morning . no feed just water and plain yogurt. she hasnt ate or drank all day . i piked her up and tilted her and she vommited did this twice . she also vommited two or three times standing up so i guess shes getting some of it out of her system. she doesnt like beinng in the cage wants to be out with the rest of the flock eating and all that stuff. what should i do next just keep letting her vommit hopeing it will flush out of her. any help would be great. her poop which there isnt much is green and white and solid but not real solid.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't know how to cure it but I do know how to prevent it. You must provide your chickens with a good supply of "insoluble grit". There are two types "soluble" and "insoluble". Insoluble grit help a chicken grind up fiberous foods, like grass, lettuce and other things. ACV will not cure sour crop.

When folks feed their chicken lots of treats like bread and corn and grains chickens need the insoluble grit to help grind these up in the gizzard. Be sure to keep a big dish of this around even if they are ranged.

I wish you the best

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by