!HELP! how do I get my chickens in the coop for the night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimisfishing, Oct 2, 2011.

1. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    someone here told me not to cahse my chicken, but that is how I get them in the coop for the night. So now how do I get them in????? some will go in on their own, but some do not. So do I let them out or just watch till they are all in if they all go in) or catch them, which will entail chasing LOL. Help what do I do????

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Mine always go in at dusk. The only time I've had to chase them in is when they have been new to the coop. Just make sure they have been in the coop for at least a week and they should put themselves in.

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    X2, at night they become very subdued and are easy to pick up.

4. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    so it is ok to chase them for a few days, they have only been in the coop for about 5 days......I do not even know how old they are nor what kind 4 of them are. LOL I am a real newbee LOL

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Might want to lock them in the coop for a week or two, so they will know that the coop is home.

Imp

6. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    Ok I am confused now, they live out in the dog pen and the coop is just a little house in there, do I lock them in the little house or just in the pen, can stey stay outside the hose all night.
    I put the food and water in the house at night and during the day I take the food out and put it away and put the water down on the grown for them. Am I doing this all wrong??? they seem to be growing and doing well. Today I gave them treats in the yard, berries, greenbeans, sunflower seed, carrots and greens from the garden.
    I am sorry for not knowing but I have never even seen live chickens before now LOL and they have been living in my livingroom in a plastic tub for 3 weeks.
    Thanks for your help.

7. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    It would be best to lock them in the coop at night, that way there will be an even less chance of fatalities due to predators. As far as food and water go, as long as you let them out early morning and don't shut them in till it's getting dark, they really don't need food or water in their coop, you could keep it in their run.

Greens and the other things you listed are a great supplement to their diet, also zucchini is too.

8. kimisfishing

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    They do not run so fast at night, but it is really hard catching them in the dark [​IMG] I'm glad I have no neighbors. I did get them all in, now should I keep them in the house for a while till they get the point? They do go in during the day and one night all but one was in when I went to put them in. I have watched them go in and out so they know it is theirs. I just dont want to scare them to death or make thme not like me.

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Are you letting them free range? Run around your yard?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Mea Culpa.

I envisioned you running to & fro, all about the yard trying to catch chickens every evening. [​IMG]
    That would be great exercise & an exercise in futility. [​IMG]

If you are keeping them in coop/run (house/pen) that is what I meant. Then you may just need to keep putting them to bed at night. They will eventually get it.

You can try catching/luring them with treats.

Imp

10. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    If it's a doghouse in the run don't lock them in it during the day. Just at night for their safety. And make sure they have all the food and water they want in the daytime, don't take their food away in the morning. They sleep at night, not eat so they don't need food at night in their little house. I do put water in the coop at night and mine do drink it. I had to corner mine and put them in their coop for about a week until they got the idea. Now they put themselves to bed about 7:30 PM and I just go out and lock their door at 8:00. Mine are 2 1/2 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by