Help! How do I tag my Mallard?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucksRule, Feb 18, 2014.

1. DucksRule

DucksRule Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    I read that as long as the duck is tagged, US Fish and Wildlife won't get you in trouble. I also read that one way to do this is to clip off the back toe when they have just hatched, but we didn't do that because we didn't know about it. Now she's an adult and I don't want to get in trouble for something I didn't do!!! (no pun intended) What do I do?

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

It
    Looks like she's bigger than your drake. Is this the case or is it a trick of the camera?

3. DuckiesRMyThing

DuckiesRMyThing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2014
    it is because she is in the front. by the way, the person who created this thread is my sister, we also share ducks

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  4. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    It is not tagging that is important. It is that you have the proper paperwork. If you bought her from a hatchery or a feed store keep the receipt. They will not catch ducks to look at toes but rather you must prove they are not wild with a paper trail.

5. DuckiesRMyThing

DuckiesRMyThing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2014
    well, I read that you don't need a license. [​IMG]

6. DucksRule

DucksRule Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    @DucksRule

I advise you to contact a) your State's Agricultural College and b) your State's Wildlife Officials. A Google search should turn up some phone numbers for you to call. This is not a topic that I know anything about. Wish you luck finding out your answer. If it were mine, I think I would have a vet do it. Calling either or both of the 2 places in your area should get you pointed in the proper direction.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by