HELP! How Do You Install Vinyl Flooring?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wsdareme, May 30, 2010.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    We went to Home Depot and got the vinyl flooring to put on the floor of the coop. We bought the adhesive and spreader. Now we have a couple of problems. One, the weather is unseasonably cold (50's) and my DH says it needs to be in the 70's for the adhesive to work and the vinyl to be flexible enough to work with. Two, our plywood floor is not very smooth and we aren't going to be able to get it perfectly level (hey, it's a chicken coop). Any suggestions on what we can do to get it installed? It's holding up completion of the coop. My chickies are at 3 weeks and I'm guessing we only have a couple weeks left before they're going to need to move out of the brooder. Any detailed help would be greatly appreciated!!! [​IMG]

2. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Nail it down with roofing nails. A couple of nails in each corner should do it. If you want it really tacked down, put a nail every 24" inches. It doesn't have to be pretty. It's a chicken coop.

UGCM

3. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    How big is the coop? Can you heat it enough to work with it? as far as uneven goes use the adhesive to help level it out, i assume people won't be walking on it or will they? More info would help>

4. jppayne34

jppayne34 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    you could take the vinyl inside and keep it at room temp. put up your heat lamp in the coop to let it get warm then put the glue down then rush the vinyl to the coop and put it in even if it is that cold outside it shouldnt be that cold inside the coop i wouldnt think anyway and dont put to much glue down, it doesnt take alot i found out the hard way the first time i did it. Good Luck i have to do mine this week as well its holding me up to.

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    The entire coop is 12'x16'. It's an add-on to our pole building and has plywood over floor joists. There will be a small porch on the front. The interior will be about 12'x13' and we will divide that into a small room in the front for storage and keeping the brooder, with the rest being open for the girls. We have enough vinyl to cover the whole 12'x16' and I figured I'd put old planking on the porch over the vinyl (it's going to be a western store-front theme). I'm planning on being able to walk on all of it and am using vinyl because that seems to be the easiest to clean. It's going to be a nice large walk-in coop. Is there any more info I can provide to help you recommend solutions? I am so thankful for these posts!!

6. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    That big an area you could use a space heater to warm it up. You can rent them from construction rental places and the cost should not be that much. Sounds like it is going to be nice. You will want to put some quarter round around the edges to keep it from curling up as it ages.

7. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    just get the room as warm as you can without stressing (above freezing:D)....take the lino in the house to warm....when ready spread your glue (preferably with a notched trowel or something similliar)...then run the vinyl out to the coop lay the field quickly as you can and work it down towards the edges...yes the adhesive "says" 70 but I have spread glue that warmed up in my truck cab on floors in houses with no heat (I heated the vinyl too ofcourse) it will work it may outgas a little longer and even stay "wet" longer but if you arent putting chickens in there tomorrow it should be alright...yes if the vinyl isnt going under the walls then put some trim around the edges (preferably a liquid tight seal)

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we didn't glue ours down .. we spread it out the the edges and put 1/4 round along the edges to keep it flat.. easy to remove if needed.. we keep deep litter over it so it works fine

9. Whitewater

Whitewater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    We also didn't use glue -- we went with a concept similar to UGCM and used small nails and screws with washers on the edges. We'll see how well that works tomorrow, 'cause it was raining all day today and the roof of our coop is open to the elements!!! It's supposed to be sunny and warm tomorrow, hopefully everything will evaporate or dry out and not leave any icky stuff behind.

I didn't want to spend money for a tub of floor adhesive and a trowel to put it on when we only had two 19"x58" pieces to have to stick onto plywood, it just didn't make sense. But it sounds like you've got a much bigger area, so maybe for you, it would work.

If you want to do the glue thing, space heaters rock, you could also just do it in your garage or somewhere else inside, and run it out to the coop real fast, that should work too. 50' or thereabouts isn't too cold, really, particularly if you can go inside somewhere too.

HTH,

Whitewater

10. TaylorC

TaylorC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    Fort Collins
    I just laid mine out yesterday. Going to do deep bedding, so it didn't have to be pretty; just put some nails around the corners and up along the top of the tub edge to keep it in place. Going to run a base moulding along where the top edge is attached to the wall to clean up the careless razor-blade cuts and make it easier to clean, etc. The piece I got was 6' x 9' and my floor is 6x6, with about 6" of vinyl up the wall. There's some patchwork going on there, but with a few inches of bedding down I'm convinced the chicks won't fuss much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by