Help! How do you know if the chick is too big to turn and zip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macmama, Jun 23, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    We had our first pip early this morning (6ish) and it's now almost 12 hours later. It managed to make the hole bigger and I could hear cheeping, but it never turned and zipped. I pulled off the loose piece of shell and I can see its beak (which is chirping loudly) but although I see it trying to squirm and move it doesn't seem able to move anywhere.

Does shrinkwrapping refer to the tougher outer membrane, or the inner one with blood vessels? If it's the inner than might that be the problem? I've seen mama standing over the eggs all day (not sitting) but it's 110 here so I thought that might be why. Time to help? What do I do?

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Shrink wrapping is generally the inner membrane with the vessels. Twelve hours is not unusual for time between pipping and zipping, especially if the peeping is still about the same volume and consistency. If the chirping gets weaker and happens much less often, and the time is passing 24 hours, then it's probably time to help out.

I just had an issue like this with my last hatch, they had pipped but were not zipping properly. If you think it's about time to help, chip away just the shell and try to leave the membranes intact. Keep the membranes moist and warm, and let the chick push out of just those alone if possible. If you need help with helping, there's a few guides on here or you can PM me.

3. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I took off some more of the shell, and peeled back the membrane a little from her face (making sure to stay away from the areas that still had tiny blood vessels) I dampened the membrane and stuck her back under mama... hopefully she works her way out.

4. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    okay, she ended up getting out but her bottom was stuck to the shell. I peeled it away carefully and saw that she was stuck by her umbilical cord to a little bit of white stuff-- but no yellow yolk. I just kind of pinched the thin cord and she got out by herself... there was one tiny speck of blood at the end of the umbilical thing, but that was it. Hopefully that was okay. Ugh, I'm really not good with keeping my hands to myself. My last hatch happened so quickly that I didn't have a chance to think anything was wrong, but this one is so slow, and the weather has been so hot, that I keep thinking I better help. Hopefully the other 2 that have pipped will hatch while I'm asleep tonight so I'm not tempted. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by