Help! *HOW* do you splint a chicken's leg above the elbow?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gen9, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Gen9

Gen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    My leghorn "Isa the Escape Artist" got out of the run, our 6 y/o rescue dog we just adoped 5 days ago grabbed it, but then let it go. She was limping around for a couple days & was able to stand & perch but today she can't move her leg at all. I couldn't find where the break is so I'm assuming that it is dislocated?

Anyway, I separated her from the flock & since she's getting worse I decided to bring her inside the house & moved her to a smaller dog kennel for limited activity. Her appetite is still good, she won't eat the all flock pellets, I gave her scrambled eggs 2 days in a row & decided to give her dog food soaked in warm water. Appetite is still good, I haven't seen her drink from her water, so I just plan on giving her wet food so she stays hydrated. She is the most friendly chicken so I don't want to put her down yet unless it looks like she's suffering but right now she is content by herself.

There might be a thread on how to make aspirin water, vitamin/electrolyte water so I'm going to look those up. If you all have any other suggestions please let me know. As for now I haven't been able to find anything on how to splint a leg above the elbow which is what I really want to try. Hubs already said we aren't paying a vet bill for a "darn chicken" :-/
    We have enough going on with our rescue dog (skin problems, age) among other bills...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Gen9

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    Thank you so much [​IMG]

4. Gen9

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    After reading through this there's a lot of great info, I bookmarked it for future reference *just in case... thanks again for this valuable resource!

I'm thinking the bird hammock and the cushioned braces will help her leg heal. I just gave her a bath & trimmed the feathers on her butt & nails - shocked that she was patient enough to go all through that. I got a room heater facing her cage, everytime she sees someone walk by she coos quietly. I took the water dish out to prevent drowning. She looks more wide-eyed now so I hope the warm water was somewhat therapeutic...

I noticed that all her feathers fell out surrounding where the puncture wound is (& the wound doesn't look deep at all, no puss or blood) the bald spot looks about the size of a silver dollar.

5. KK4CWT

KK4CWT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2015
    Thank you for that link!! It describes a problem on a chick's toe that has happened to my chick's thigh, and how to help it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by