Help... How old? Sex? (pictures)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by david182, Apr 16, 2012.

1. david182

david182 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Bought my babies straight run from Rural King... They didn't know their age and as I am a first timer neither do I... I took them out to play yesterday for the first time :) I do believe as they are growing I think I have one hen and 6 roosters (go figure)... What do ya'll think?

So far I am still keeping them in the garage at night as their coop is under construction.... Once we find out what sexes we actually have we plan to get more hens if we need to (we wanted at least 3) ... they will be cooped with a completly enclosed run... our roosters will be free range with protected coop at night (we live in the country). Am in right in understanding that you should keep the roosters and hens seperate if you plan on eating the eggs? (see I am a newbie... lol)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Ha, no. There's no worries about eating fertile eggs. Folks in the city do it all the time and don't even know. It's a such a speck that my eyes can barely pick it up and I know what I am looking for.

Farm eggs, Trader Joe's, organic brown eggs, etc, sold in better supermarkets are often fertile. The proof is that folks here often hatch them. If you don't incubate them or allow a broody hen to sit on them for 21 days, no chick will form.

3. david182

Apr 7, 2012
    see told you I was a newbie... lol ~ what about ages... how old do you think these guys are?

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I'd guess 4-5 weeks or so. Some breeds develop at a slightly different rate but somewhere around that age.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Roughly? A month old, maybe 5 weeks.

6. david182

Apr 7, 2012
    I know for sure that I am in love... lol They are all pretty friendly and my kids have fun helping take care of them. So far we are enjoying becoming "chicken people" lol

7. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Being that I have only bee doing this for a year I would say that you have more hens than rooster.

8. david182

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks! Anyone else want to hazard a guess to the sex of these cuties???

9. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I can't see them really well in the pics. At that age the roo's comb should be starting to turn red, the pullets will still be yellow.

10. stephensc7146

stephensc7146 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    My red sex links are that size, and feathered about the same. I bought them on March 30th, and I'm guessing they were already 3-4 days old at the time. So my guess is your chicks are between 2 - 2 1/2 and 3 weeks old! I can post a pic of one of my sex links to compare if you like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by