Help! How should I attach hardware cloth to camper shell??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Urbanchicster, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Urbanchicster

Urbanchicster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2014
    Good Afternoon Backyard Chickens!!

I am in the process of starting coop design. I procured a camper shell --- no leaks and everything functions! I've draw up plans for how to make the shell the roof of my coop and run and I think it will work just fine. I decided to put hardware cloth over the side sliding windows to avoid the greenhouse effect in the summer.

I've ran into my first issue.... how to heck am I going to get hardware cloth over the camper shell windows?

I wanted to avoid drilling into the shell itself --- theres no holes in the roof, so why would I make holes? Well now its looking like I don't have any options.

The original plan was to take out the frame, and then attach the cloth where the screen was, using the screws that holds down the frame to also hold down the hardware cloth. Well,I'm a few hours into that operation and I don't think its going to work. First of all, its freaking tedious. But, more importantly, there isn't enough screws in the frame to adequately hold down the hardware cloth.

What would you do? Just attach the hardware cloth to the outside with some wood drilled to the frame? Or the same yet on the inside? Or should I keep trying to make this window frame idea work, even though I'm pretty sure its not going to work out.

Is there some magical glue that I could glue wood to the shell itself and drill into?

Tell me your ideas!! And hopefully we can figure out a solution before I drill the holes or go nutty with this frame....

Thank you for your time!

Kelly

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    There is a contractors glue that will hold just about anything. Home depot and Lowes both sell it. There are many different types so read the label for metal to metal adhesive. It comes in a caulk gun style tube. I am with you, I wouldn't want to put holes in the shell either. Potential leaks. Good luck and post pics would love to see it.

3. Urbanchicster

Mar 28, 2014
    Thanks Bonrae! I'm going to see if its possible to glue on the inside vs outside to keep things looking nice. I will certainly post pics once I actually get started on this thing. Right now I'm just prepping the shell and digging out the massive pile of dirt where the coop will go. So there really is glue that will hold wood that good?

4. Urbanchicster

Mar 28, 2014
    I googled it, there seems to be a lot of brands and types. Anyone have experience w contractor glue and can suggest which exact type I should use?

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    It would look neater with the wire on the inside. A cordless drill and self tapping screws with a washer installed at 3" spacings should make short work of it.

6. Urbanchicster

Mar 28, 2014
    Chicken legs, what about potential leaks?

7. Urbanchicster

Mar 28, 2014
    My google search brought me to 3m vhb tape. Anyone have any experience w it??

8. Urbanchicster

Mar 28, 2014
    My other issue I have to brainstorm, I only need the hardware cloth on half the window (the other half is always closed). I don't want the rough edge to be exposed, and its not like I can just nicely drill some wood across the window... Its raised on the inside making things very difficult, even with the glue ideas.

Geez! This camper shell was supposed to make things easier!!

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

The hardware cloth isn't going to keep the water out anyway.
    The frame of the camper shell is probably made of 1" square aluminum tubing. If you installed the wire & screws on the inside, the screw holes won't be exposed to the weather. Maybe I'm not exactly understanding what you're attaching the wire to?

10. Urbanchicster

Mar 28, 2014
    At this point, I'm thinking about gluing a frame around the outside of the window, and just attaching it to that. No it won't be as smooth and pretty, but maybe if I paint it then it'll be okay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by