HELP! How to integrate new 4 month old ROO into existing flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZepChick, Jul 20, 2010.

1. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Hi BYCers!

We have a beautiful flock of 27 hens: 6 -5 month old pullets, 5- 1 year old hens, and 16- 2 year old hens. The pullets are just starting to squat (most of them). We have recently acquired a gorgeous EE cockerel (4.5 months), and he has just completed his quarantine. My daughter for some reason thought it would be OK to just throw him in with the girls today, and of course he got attacked, mostly by the young pullets. The older girls just watched. The roo tried to do his dance even, which I was happy about cuz he is such a young boy, but the girls were jumping on him.

My thought is that the roo should be slowly integrated into the coop/run. Maybe a crate within the coop for a week or so, so they can see each other and get used to each other? I need some senior BYCer/chicken owner advice. What is the best way to get this little handsome man in with his new girlfriends? He is a standard size EE, some of the girls are a little bigger than him, like our Jerseys. If it's a breed issue, our types of hens are in my sig line, I need your advice to keep this little roo feathered [​IMG]

Thanks in advance BYC! ~ Kim

2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Anyone?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You have the right idea. Putting him in a cage within the coop or a fenced off section in the run is a great way for them to get used to seeing eachother first. Also, if you can, let them free range together. Then after they've gotten used to seeing eachother, then you can put them together. There will probably still be some squabbling, but things will improve with time.

Good luck with your introduction!

4. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    I really appreciate your response chicmom. But does anybody else have any opinions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by