1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

HELP! How to introduce a 2 week old to a 1 month old pekin & 3 chicks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hollyravenheart, Apr 5, 2017.

1. hollyravenheart

hollyravenheart Hatching

Mar 11, 2017
    Leavenworth Washington
    Hi,
    I'm in need of advice. A month ago while getting 3 baby chicks, we came home with an adorable Peking. The girl working at the farm store told us it would be easy to keep right along with the chickens, so we couldn't resist. The baby chicks have decided Penelope Peking is mama and they are bonded. Penelope Pekin might be a drake though as the bin was a straight run bin though and being newbies my son picked the biggest and whitest with the orangest bill. Now I'm paranoid that Penelope is a drake! The duckling is enormous after 1 month! I really want a duck! I found sexed ducks at a different feed store and brought one home today. Fiona is not yet a welcome addition. I briefly placed her in with the others just incase they'd take to her easily, the chicks didn't know what to think but Penelope Pekin attempted attack. Fiona is now snuggling with me on the couch as she was unhappy alone in her own digs (Rubbermaid and all). I figure by next week she'll be close to the size of the chicks and that might go over better but not sure the best way to proceed! I'd appreciate advice![​IMG]

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Songster

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Just go slow.. and keep letting them see each other from a safety zone where penelope can see and hear fiona, but cant reach her or hurt her.
    It will take time.
    And pekins are a large very fast growing breed so penelope may still be a girl.. they all are large, white and have orange bills. So those arent signs of being male at this age.
    But at a month old i would expect penelope to be starting to make a deeper louder noise if a girl... or is she still making quiet baby peeping noises?

3. hollyravenheart

hollyravenheart Hatching

Mar 11, 2017
    Leavenworth Washington
    She has louder sounds than she did but Not quacking yet and I can't distinguish between duck or drake when I compare between the you tube videos and such

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Songster

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    If she is your only duck it should be pretty easy. Females have a deep honky sound.
    Males at this age are quieter and quieter and still baby sounding and will turn into a raspy sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by