Help! How to stop a 1year old rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Nov 22, 2009.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Our baby Roo won't stop fighting his dad. Dad is a Silkie and can't win. We love the Dad more than we love the baby. Baby Roo is called"Meatbird" or "Mr. Meaty". Well, I think Mr. Meaty has to go. He is hyper-focused on fighting his dad for 2 days, won't do anything else. We have him locked up.

He is very pretty and a great lap pet. He's tiny for a chicken, like a Yorkshire terrier is to dogs.

What do we do with him? Can the fighting be stopped? Is there a way to keep the Dad Roo safe?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm sorry but it sounds to me like you will have to remove the son from your flock, for the safety of your Dad roo.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    You need to seperate them right now. I was in a situation where I thought I would *get around to* seperating two roos. They nearly killed eachother. It is gruesome & too much trouble.

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Yes, they are separated, it is sad to see the Silkie Dad afraid. Son had listed the babyRoo on Craig's List, please pray this goes well!

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Maybe it's time to fulfill "Meatbird's" name and send him to the freezer? If you're up to that, I know some people can't stand the thought, but that is what I would do with him on my farm.

I'd agree that he probably needs at the very least to be in a separate enclosure, or rehome him.

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Hmmm I foresee dumplings in Mr. Meaty's future.

7. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Someone with 4 new ducks, about 5 months old, including a Mallard, said he will take Mr. Meaty. We will send him along with his sister "Fryer", because she would be terribly lonesome without him. He takes care of her. The gentleman asked "is it OK to put chickens with ducks?" I promised I would ask here.

So, is it OK to put Mr. Meatbird in with a Mallard and his ducks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by