HELP how to stop bleeding *(update)*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheapcheap_jeepjeep, May 30, 2007.

1. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I posted in the behavior area that my pullet beat up my cockrel he is bleeding from the comb area. it will stop for a while but when be bends over to eat and pick at the ground it starts bleeding again. what can I put on it to stop the bleeding? I have him in the house in a small cage for now but he is not happy to be away from his girls. I also do not want him in there long to loss his pecking order.

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    They say to get bluecoat or wound care I could never find it so when it happened to my rooster I put neosporin on it I made sure it was clean first. I kept him separate for a day then put him back. I was also told to put pinetar on it. Hope this helps Micki

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I wonder how that liquid bandaid stuff would work for this.....??? Just a thought...

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Haven't had to go through this, but these are the ideas I have gathered in my Chicken Notebook LOL!

Flour is supposed to help it clot, as well as they stypic pencils (sp??) they sell for dogs.

I bet if you just keep him where he is, fairly quiet, it'll clot by tomorrow on it's own and he'll be ok to go back. I agree with the bluekote though. It'll keep the other chickens from pecking at it and reopening the wound.

Meghan

5. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Thanks all I have the flour. So I tried that I don't have the other stuff, but I have him inside. I also hope to get the stained blood color off his white feathers being a white rock it is really easy to see.

I will see how the flour works for now seeing I have to go to work and the DH will have to watch him and the kids [​IMG]

6. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

Old folk remendy - a really sticky cobweb - if all else fails! (I can let you have one) [​IMG]

7. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Quote:[​IMG] Thanks but not sure if would get in time. But it is good to know.

8. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Cornstarch works even better than flour-used to use it for my cockatiels. But, flour will work too-you just may have to reaply more often.

Best wishes!

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  10. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Thanks for the help. He is much better now. I used the flour,and it did the job. I also left him the house over nite and he was placed out with his flock this afternoon, (while I watched them for a long time. ) I figured out why the problem. he was trying to mate them and the said HECK NO!!!!! My other roo tried it today to and got the same answer. POOR BOYS>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by