HELP/How to tell a boy POLISH from a Girl POLISH-

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mybellanchico, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mybellanchico

mybellanchico Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    UMMMMM

I'm stunned I just read someone's thread and realized that I may have had a girl instead of a boy all this time.

NO wonder he didnt crow! , LOL

thought I just got lucky. = )

He just died last night. Dont know if any of you read my thread about JJ getting attacked by my dog. He survived the day but died last night.

So I've spent the day reading up on the bread and looking at pix because I want to get another one.

Only to realize that I think I had a girl not a boy.
    It was given to me by a friend who had to move and couldnt take him with her so I offered to take him in,
    she told me he was a boy. I knew nothing of the breed and thought he was so sweet looking. The first day I met him he came right up too me and followed me around all day.

but I think.... he's really a she.

Check this out:

The white polish come in non bearded and bearded varieties.
    The non bearded have red "v" comb, face and wattles. The non bearded male wattles are rounded on the bottom and even in length with no disfiguration. The female wattles are small to non existant. The "v" comb on both sexes should be small, with non existant being better.

The bearded male and female beard goes all the way to and hides the ears with no wattle.

The white polish beak, leg shank and toes are slate blue and eyes are reddish bay.

The ear lobes are white with no discoloration.

As for the plumage, the web, fluff and shafts of all feathers, in all sections are white in both male and female. The type of white on a pure white is "recessive". That means there will be no splash of black markings on the feathers, although there might be a solid black feather or two found in the pure white plumage somewhere on the body or crest. When you breed this "recessive" white bird to another color you will end up with chicks showing the color of the other bird with no white showing in the plumage.

The crest on the male is very large and profuse, free from split or parting. Feathers in the male crest are similar in shape to those in the hackle. The tail on the male is at a 45 degree angle and fully fanned.

The crest on the female is round and full. It is in the shape of a soft ball and very dense. A lopsided or split crest should be shunned. The tail is at a 40 degree angle and fully fanned.

Ok my little one had a puff ball on his/her head. Does that make it a girl? He/she was all white.

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I saw the pic you posted, it was a hen.

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Looking at your picture, that was definitely a hen.

Boys crests are more pointy, whereas girls are more like a puff ball all around and the edges of the feathers on the head are rounded mostly.

Boy buff laced polish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Girl Buff Laced Polish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

FLock of wc black polish, roo on left, hens on right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  4. mybellanchico

Feb 26, 2008
    Thanks all
    that cleared things up for me.

All this time I thought i had a rooster.

Guess I really had a hen.
    She was great no matter what. !!

You guys are the best thanks for taking the time to explain it all

this forum is really awesome!!

5. mybellanchico

Feb 26, 2008
    P.S
    Those pix were awesome.

Can anyone tell me more about the breed?

are they common and do they have a good rep for pets?

Do they cost more than others and
    most of all I live in fl, brevard county

anyone know where to get another one.

I dont own lots of chickens, especially polish ones, but have a feeling this experience is the start to a beautiful thing, LOL

I'd like to get another, but really dont know where to start.

I'd like a silver one I guess they call it. and a black one and a black and white one.
    How would I go about picking a good one out and whats the best way to purchase what your looking for.

do they have a site just for this kind of bird? maybe I could read up on it.
    I've been looking but having found one.

Ok for now ,
    Sylvia

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I think if you bought one from a reputable breeder would be a good idea. There are some people who have polish on this site. Research and find someone you are comfortable with and has birds you like.

Remember all flocks of chickens have immunity to different diseases so it would be best to get all your birds from one spot making sure they are healthy. Getting babies is a plus because you can train them the way you want and there isnt as much probability that there will be a disease process going on.

The hatcheries sell babies, but they breed for quantity not quality. If I was to want to get a polish from a hatchery I would see if Sandhill preservation still had some to buy this year. But you have to buy 25 chickens total minimum. There are a few places that will sell only a few chicks to you. MyPetChicken.com is one. I know nothing about them. I would personally try to contact someone here that you feel good about and see what you can work out.

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    So sorry about your loss of JJ, she was beautiful. I love my polish, they are so funny and seem to like humans pretty well.

Rooster<-----that a way.

And two of his ladies here. These are non-bearded.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by