HELP - huge lump on chicken, very lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickaCheeka, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ChickaCheeka

ChickaCheeka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I came home from work today and noticed Olive my Araucana was very lethargic. She's standing with her eyes closed, feet are really cold and didn't mind when I picked her right up. She hasn't laid eggs in a while and I noticed a massive lump on her breast area when I picked her up...it feels hard and like a very large egg. I have her inside and just gave her some olive oil with a syringe to help it pass? I've never had this happen before and don't know what to do...please help! Thank you in advance.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Is it her crop? You can check the FAQ forum or do a search for impacted crop, as that is one possibility. There are some remedies you could try.

3. ChickaCheeka

ChickaCheeka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Thank you....it is an impacted crop. I've never seen/had this problem before so it really freaked me out. I ended up taking her to the emergency vet and they wanted $1000 for crop surgery. I can afford it but I would really rather not have to. They gave her fluids at the vets and I brought her home. Gave her a small syringe of warm olive oil and a gentle massage. About an hour later I gave her a syringe of warm apple cider vinegar water. I massaged her crop again and the massive baseball sized lump was actually malleable instead of rock hard like it was when I first noticed. She's all wrapped and cozy warm, resting near the pellet stove. Thank goodness for BYC and the Internet! Im guessing she's not out of the woods yet but it is looking better...I'm happy with any sort of improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by