Help! Huge Mite Problem!

CluckYeah8908

Songster
6 Years
Jun 18, 2016
Oklahoma
We have a huge mite problem. There are so many mite crawling all over the coop and all over my flock. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of them and how to keep them gone? I read online about putting a clove of garlic in their water makes mites not like the taste of their blood. Does anyone have an opinion on that? I also read about spraying the chickens with a mixture of garlic juice, water, and lavender essential oil? And spraying the walls of the coop with a mixture of water, dish soap, and cooking oil? My dad used to put Sevin Dust on them back in the day. Is that helpful? He passed away around 3 years ago so it's up to me to take care of the chickens. I'm pretty sure they also have Scaly Leg Mites too. I read for that to buy some "Green Goo" off Amazon. I think it's a healing ointment for wound care in animals. It feels like Vaseline. It said to rub their legs and feet with it. I'm planning on this Friday to deep clean the coop. Get rid of all the bedding, and washing everything good.

Also one more thing, I read that you should give your chickens extra protein when they have mites to help them fight them off. What are some good sources of protein for chickens?

Severe infestations require severe work. Treat you coop and all areas with a miticide
Photo for reference:
shopping

Clean your coop of all debris and either burn it or get it off your property. You can use Dawn dish washing liquid to clean the coop-including all roost, floors, walls, etc.

You can either wash the chickens in Dawn or use cat flea shampoo. Afterwards when the skin is still soft from the warm water apply Vaseline to the legs. I've used Vicks Vapor Rub on the legs with good results. Be sure to blow dry the chicken.

What ever you do to treat your mites, you will have to continue with periodic treatment to prevent reinfestation.

I like to use Permethrin now for lice or mites. The concentrated 10% spray is about $10 a pint, $20 per quart, and will make gallons for use in the coop or on the chickens. Mix about 1/2 ounce to a gallon of water, and use in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. Only about 1/2 ounce of the diluted liquid per chicken is needed. Permethrin garden dust is also good for the chicken itself in cold weather. Treat mites every 7 days at least twice to get newly hatched eggs, and for lice use every 10 days. It is very safe for chickens. I have safely used Sevin dust as well, but most souces do not recommend it for chickens nowadays. I have used it for over 30 years on my animals, but there is a small cancer risk.

Permethrin spray concentrate is the best! Spray every inch of the coop, preferably after cleaning out the old bedding, and spray the birds at night when they are roosting. Now when it's very cold, use the permethrin dust (poultry dust) on the birds instead. Wear a N95 face mask when you are doing any of these things!
You will have sick or dying birds over this if you don't act!
Bathing sick chickens is a faster way to kill them; dust or spray them instead. Less handling means less stress in already sick birds.
Don't waste your time with all those 'home remedies', get the bugs with permethrin!
Mary

Agreed, you need to take action immediately. Sevin is no longer approved as a poultry dust. Permethrin does a good job. You need to thoroughly clean coop, treat coop AND birds, and repeat entire process a week to 10 days later. Destroy or remove bedding from your property. Treat legs at the same time with an oil which completely covers all the scales on their legs. When cleaning coop. pay particular attention to roosts, nest boxes, and any joints where these items meet the wall.

Back
Top Bottom