HELP! Humidity at 78% at lock down.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mycutekitties, May 16, 2011.

1. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    We are due to hatch Wedneday. One egg has already piped. My humidity is at 78%. Last year I used my incubator about 12 times with very sucessful hatches (about 90%+). This is the first time using a Hygrometer and it says 78% and I am a little worried. Do I need to bring the humidity down? The only way I can think to do that is open the incubator and poor water out but that would not be great since it would take some time to get all my eggs out. Anyway now what?? (Oh and temp is 99).
    Help!

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Do you have any vent plugs that are still in? Maybe you could take them out. It will go down, relax.

Or... I know this sounds gross, but once I stuck a straw through a hole for plugs, through the wire mesh and onto the bottom of the bator and sucked water out. It helped at least. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Quote:I might actually try that (yuck!) lol

4. AlexKilpatrick

AlexKilpatrick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Remember it is the surface area of water that controls humidity, not the depth. You need to decrease the surface area to reduce the humidity.

5. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    78% isnt really too high. You can leave it at that because it wont go up anymore it will only go down because of the constant temperature. Just leave it. If you do decided that it is too high and take water out, you will probably end up adding water eventually again because the incubator will dry out. Dont worry too much about the humidity. You're in a good range.

6. mycutekitties

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Ok thanks! I have two pips today [​IMG]

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I hatch at 85%+ and don't ever have any excess humidity related problems - 78% shouldn't do any damage...

8. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I'm going to agree with the last post, too.
    Higher humidity is not going to harm your chicks during the last few days of incubation.

Chicks drowning in eggs is from the water that naturally occurs in the egg not drying out of the egg during the first 18 days of incubation.

Best of luck on your hatch [​IMG]
    Carollyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by