Help! Humidity keeps going down.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jlucia, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jlucia

Jlucia New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    I'm on day 20, put them in lockdown yesterday, but the humidity keeps going down--lowest was 57% rather than 65-70. No signs of pipping. Is it okay to put a sponge inside to get humidity up? This is in my classroom, so I can't keep up all night to add water through the vent. THANK YOU!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yup. I would add a couple sponges. I usually have at least 2 in mine at lockdown. [​IMG]

3. Dutchh

Dutchh New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Keep in mind raising humidity can only be done by increasing the amount of water surface,
    I have a large square tray on the bottom of my incubator which i fill up with water. If humidity is to low a add an extra waterfilled foodplate on top of the tray. Just to get more watersurface. I guess a spunge will do the same job.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  4. Jlucia

Jlucia New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Thanks! Is it okay to open the incubator during lockdown to add more water or sponges?

5. Dutchh

Dutchh New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Sure. I open up at least once a day during lockdown, just to get some fresh air in there.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It is recommended at lockdown to not open any more than neccessary, but yes, it's fine to add water or a couple sponges. It is better to have your humidity up. You have vents open/vent plugs out right?

7. Jlucia

Jlucia New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Yes, vents opened and I added sponges and the humidity is much better. Now I'm paranoid because I think I saw a pop after I already opened it. It was only opened for maybe 30 seconds, so I'm thinking it'll be fine.
    Thanks so much for the prompt feedback.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It should be fine. Good luck on the hatch! Hope you guys get to see some chicks hatching!

9. sonilla

sonilla Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    My humidity levels on the incubator keeps going down, my manual says it should be at 60 because the product is set at 45 for humidity, but now the humidity stays at 50 or lower. This is my first day and first time using it.. I need help understanding it please

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Please, before you let an other day go by, read the information in the learning center regarding "dry hatch". Lots of chicks are killed by following the instructions that come with an incubator! You'll get a much better hatch keeping your humidity down to around 30% during the first 18 days of incubation. Read all of the information in "Hatching 101" and you'll have a much better idea of what's going on and how to optimize your hatch. Most important: calibrate your thermometer to 100*, and keep that humidity down until lock down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by