Help! Humidity or struggling chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alicat4, Apr 14, 2009.

1. alicat4

alicat4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Arkie
    I have 44 eggs in a bator, three hatched, two pipped and one that's made it half way around his shell, but has been stuck for over 24 hours. He's still struggling valiantly, but he's got his beak out up to where his beak meets flesh and the shell is starting to cut into it. Since his beak is out, he can't get it back in to pip the rest of the way. My humidity has sucked during the hatch, too. I poked some sponge strips in the plug holes and that brought it up a lot, but they've dried out now and the humidity has fallen again. The chicks have all been hatched for awhile, with the latest hatching before 7am this morning. SO...do I take the risk of opening the bator to help the struggler out? While I've got it open, I could take out the babies and move them to the brooder and wet the sponges to up the humidity. Is it worth the risk? What would you do in this situation? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. DALBERT

DALBERT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Maine
    I would use a straw to get water on the sponges through the vent to get the humidity up . If that does not help it is your choice to help the chick or not.

3. alicat4

Apr 12, 2009
    Arkie
    Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?? I'll give it a go and let you know.

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    That is just CRUEL!!!Help the poor thing, do a good deed!!! [​IMG]

5. alicat4

Apr 12, 2009
    Arkie
    I'm not trying to be cruel at all! I'm trying to keep from being cruel to the other 39 chicks! If I can't keep the humidity up, they'll ALL die stuck in the shells, right? Wow. I've never been called cruel before. I really care for these chicks, I've invested the last month of my life in them and would never want to hurt a single chick.

6. DALBERT

Mar 14, 2009
    Maine
    I think they where refering to my comment as cruel not yours and I think they where also joking

7. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    You're not being cruel, you're trying to do the right thing. I say that you're at the best place to look for help, and no one has any right to pass judgement on you. I think you're doing just great, and you need to do what you think is best.

8. alicat4

Apr 12, 2009
    Arkie
    Well, I don't think your comment was cruel either. Farm life is farm life and that involves some gruesome things. Making a rational (as opposed to emotional) decision isn't cruel, it's usually wise. I hope they were joking.

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I've had to raise the humidity a few times during this hatch and I have 60cc needless syringes. I just fill them up with warm water and stick them inside the vent holes and add more water. Its working great for me.

Good luck!!

Laurie

10. DALBERT

Mar 14, 2009
    Maine
    well put

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by