Help hurt bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Michele_Lynd, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Michele_Lynd

Michele_Lynd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Indaina
    ok I think a coon got her, two others were dead Heads gone, Coon dug under pen she is alive open wounds just sit there unless disturbed then try to move a little Gave her fresh water but not sure what else to do any help would be appreciated

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Seperate her from the others, keep her warm and leave her alone. She`s most likely in shock, but chickens pull themselves together in a few days if they aren`t injured severely. As long as she isn`t rattleing or wheezing heavily, she should pull out of it fine. It`s common for them to sull after a heavy trauma.........Pop

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    so sorry to hear about your chickens [​IMG]
    those coons are sneaky and frustrating. if they have to kill to eat why can't they just take one and eat the whole thing...what is with the heads?[​IMG]
    i agree with Lollipop. keep her quiet and comfortable for today and let us know how she is tomorrow

4. Michele_Lynd

Michele_Lynd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Indaina
    Well she didn't make it :'( Now I just have to catch the little bugger that did this so I'm on the hunt now

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about your bird, Michele. It`s always our favorites or our best that get taken first........Pop

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:So sorry about your loss. We had a raccoon problem this summer. I thought it was just one. Turned out to be FIVE big ones. We live-trapped them with marshmallows and then gave them the "tailpipe-of-the-car" treatment.
    Best wishes to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by