Help Hurt Chicken

momnluvnit

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
New to this site. I hope I'm putting this question in the right spot. Forgive me if not. We have seven hens they have a nice size coop and also a door where they can go outside into a large kennel size area to roam. We normaly let them out on the farm to go where they want every morning but two days ago something killed one in the middle of the day and all that was left is a pile of feathers and two feet :( So being worried for them the past two days I have only let them out into the kennel area in case whatever it is came back. Tonight I went up to change the water and gather the eggs and one of the hens has a spot a little bigger than a silver dollar on her back where the feathers are all gone and the spot was red and bloody looking, very raw. They weren't out of food or water. Against my better judgement I'm going to let them out tomorrow because I don't want them to kill her, then again I know there is a chance whatever took the other one may come back. We work during the day so no one is here to keep an eye on them. I feel so bad for her!! Is there something I should do?? We are actually getting rid of them in a couple of weeks they are going next door to live with my in laws 16 chickens but what if she is not healed by then? We have had them since the spring and nothing like this has ever happened. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Thankfully, I have never had to deal with injuries on my chickens before. I'm not very experienced in chicken injuries, but I will tell you what I know (which is not much). Wash the wound with warm water (and nothing else), and put neosporin on it. Keep her isolated until the wound is completely healed. Best I can offer .
idunno.gif
Hope she will be OK!!!

Blubee

It sounds like the wound was caused by pecking. Either way, the redness will encourage the others to peck it and make it worse. Do what Bluebee suggested, but if the wound is covered or diguised (like with Blu-Kote, a blue colouring) then she might not need isolation.

It sounds like the wound was caused by pecking. Either way, the redness will encourage the others to peck it and make it worse. Do what Bluebee suggested, but if the wound is covered or diguised (like with Blu-Kote, a blue colouring) then she might not need isolation.

Thanks for the additional advice darwinchooks!

The wound reads like the chooks are bored and picking on subordinates.
Cleaning the wound and applying antibiotics is good advice.
If you can bung her in a cat carrier so she is with the others but not able to be pecked until she heals things might improve even faster.

I have had hawks after my chickens before, even had one snatched up and dropped feathers everywhere. They probably were bored in the pen and pecked her. Keep a look out for birds of prey eye balling your chickens.

One word of caution - Careful where you choose to apply the blu kote. I bought the spray can
and ended up with it on my cement patio. Now part of it is pretty bluish purple color. But the
intended target was also hit. Just lots of overspray. Oh yeah, I received several questions the next
day at work about whether I was having circulation problems because my fingers also got overspray on
them. (bluish purple also) I guess I'm a messy first aide provider. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom