HELP HURT ROOSTER

Tarojar

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2022
So, I have always wanted chickens growing up! I finally got them after my sister kindly hatched a few for us. Everything was all right for the most part but then my rooster suddenly is having issues walking. I thought it might be dehydration or the lack of vitamins, but when looking in-depth more it might be a disease. I am very new to raising chickens and this is an emergency!
Today I bought some vitamin/electrolyte mix for their water from the store near me!
He has been walking odd for about a week now, but he has gotten up a few times. Whenever I try to stand him up his legs step on each other, his wings drop (until he picks them up), and he starts to wobble when he does walk. ALSO he has been doing this odd panting/hissing thing?
List of the food and his environment:
- I use a straw bedding currently because I bought a new better bedding
- I used to feed my chickens chick feed, but I bought actual better feed today
- Since I live with my family and we have yet to get the coop appraised, they live in a coop in the basement/garage
I just joined this site because I have always gotten information from here! I am really worried he might die if not treated soon…

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 2
Where did your sister get her eggs from?
How old is he?
What are you feeding?
Is he eating/drinking/pooping?

It sounds like Mareks but could be nutritional also. It's really hard to "see" him due to the lighting. If you're able to take a video of him walking/standing, download on YouTube then you'll be able to upload it here. These links may help you figure out the possibility...

http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

How old is he?
What are you feeding?

It sounds like Mareks but could be nutritional also. It's really hard to "see" him due to the lighting. If you're able to take a video of him walking/standing, download on YouTube then you'll be able to upload it here. These links may help you figure out the possibility...

How old is he?
What are you feeding?

He is about 3 or so months old, my sister got him from a friend (I think), I have started two water supplements called flock fixer/DURVET Vitamins, I hand fed him yesterday/ today (otherwise I think he eats very little), the new chicken feed is called nature wise, and his poop seems lacking in liquid? Per say? A week back it was mainly liquid. Water-wise I can’t tell how much he is drinking BUT I did give him water yesterday and today with supplement in it.

He is about 3 or so months old, my sister got him from a friend (I think), I have started two water supplements called flock fixer/DURVET Vitamins, I hand fed him yesterday/ today (otherwise I think he eats very little), the new chicken feed is called nature wise, and his poop seems lacking in liquid? Per say? A week back it was mainly liquid. Water-wise I can’t tell how much he is drinking BUT I did give him water yesterday and today with supplement in it.
Their new coop was set up today and is currently in the background.

It seems like he may have been hurt? Have you checked him over for any injuries? I'm stumped here but let me ask for some others that may be able to give possibilities ...
Where are you located, helps to determine the availability of products & climate conditions.

@azygous @aart @Wyorp Rock @Kiki
If you can help, thank you in advance
When I was touching his wings, it seemed like he was pulling back from pain maybe? When he tries to sit down, he puts his legs over his wings (I just noticed today). I was thinking of possibly bandaging them incase he pulled/broke something. I went onto the site you showed me and went over Meraks and it seems like he isnt paralyzed like they show. I am going to double check for any cuts, redness, etc that may be on him. I can say, he does this odd panting/mouth open thing? I am currently located in Tennessee. I was thinking maybe the other chickens bullied him after he got his wing hurt or something along those lines,,

Sorry I'm not much help, hope someone will peep in to give suggestions :fl
If the wing is broke, the bones need to be set right then taped. He seems to have control of it (drawing to his body). His not being able to walk/support himself is a concern.
The feed "nature wise" is the brand but not a "layer" right? Nature Wise make different "variety" of feed, take a picture of the bag or check if it's a Layer or All Flock or Starter/Grower ... Continue with the vitamins & wetting his feed to make a mash may entice. him to eat.

He seems weak. Something may have happened to send him into shock. Continue the electrolytes and vitamins, but add sugar to him water.

His symptoms can also point to an avian virus. He's in the right age range for onset of symptoms if he was infected in his eggs or soon after. Two avian viruses exhibit these symptoms. It's not possible to diagnose. Keep up the vitamins and doctored water, and if he gets better, you'll know it's not a virus. If he declines further, it's likely a virus.

If the wing is broke, the bones need to be set right then taped. He seems to have control of it (drawing to his body). His not being able to walk/support himself is a concern.
The feed "nature wise" is the brand but not a "layer" right? Nature Wise make different "variety" of feed, take a picture of the bag or check if it's a Layer or All Flock or Starter/Grower ... Continue with the vitamins & wetting his feed to make a mash may entice. him to eat
He is able to eat the dry food normally if it is infront of him, he stands up occasionally and moves a step or two infront of him. I am going to watch him cloer Tomorrow and make sure to feed him. I’ve never dealt/ had chickens with broken bones, do you have any references to look at to see if his wing is the issue? Food wise, it is called nurse wise , meat bird protein crumble.

The feed "nature wise" is the brand but not a "layer" right? Nature Wise make different "variety" of feed, take a picture of the bag or check if it's a Layer or All Flock or Starter/Grower ... Continue with the vitamins & wetting his feed to make a mash may entice. him to eat.
I dont think it is layered, it just said it
He seems weak. Something may have happened to send him into shock. Continue the electrolytes and vitamins, but add sugar to him water.

His symptoms can also point to an avian virus. He's in the right age range for onset of symptoms if he was infected in his eggs or soon after. Two avian viruses exhibit these symptoms. It's not possible to diagnose. Keep up the vitamins and doctored water, and if he gets better, you'll know it's not a virus. If he declines further, it's likely a virus.
do you think it might spread to my hens? I’m really worried about all of their safety.

Back
Top Bottom