help!! i’m a new chicken mom!!

leylanat

Hatching
May 24, 2020
i recently got two new baby chickens, this is my
first time with chickens and i have a few questions. one of my chicks is doing very great and is eating drinking and poops regularly. my other chick is the same though when i was at work my mom had told me she thought my other chick is constipated, i have taken that in account and looked and it looked like the vent of my
chick is inflamed, i had them for about two days now and watching the chick i noticed that it poops, but looks like it had a hard time pooping and squawks loudly when going to the bathroom. i have researched and learned about ‘pasty butt’ and i have started regularly cleaning the vent with warm water with a q-tip and a washcloth and flushing it with a squirt bottle, as well as putting some vaseline around it. though i think it helped some i am stilled worried because i had learned pasty butt can affect chicks if not properly helped. around my chicks bottom it looks very raw and doesn’t have feathers surrounding it and all in all looks very sore and red, i see the chick picking at the excrement thats in the vent if i haven’t cleaned it, i have separated them both but i am just concerned with the chick, i may be over reacting but i am still nervous about the little chick..

first time with chickens and i have a few questions. one of my chicks is doing very great and is eating drinking and poops regularly. my other chick is the same though when i was at work my mom had told me she thought my other chick is constipated, i have taken that in account and looked and it looked like the vent of my
chick is inflamed, i had them for about two days now and watching the chick i noticed that it poops, but looks like it had a hard time pooping and squawks loudly when going to the bathroom. i have researched and learned about ‘pasty butt’ and i have started regularly cleaning the vent with warm water with a q-tip and a washcloth and flushing it with a squirt bottle, as well as putting some vaseline around it. though i think it helped some i am stilled worried because i had learned pasty butt can affect chicks if not properly helped. around my chicks bottom it looks very raw and doesn’t have feathers surrounding it and all in all looks very sore and red, i see the chick picking at the excrement thats in the vent if i haven’t cleaned it, i have separated them both but i am just concerned with the chick, i may be over reacting but i am still nervous about the little chick..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-treat-pasty-butt-and-constipation-in-chicks.1378893/
Click that link. I hope it helped. Some chickens poop weird, but not like that. Try adding hydro hen or other supplements to their water. Make sure it’s dry in their brooder, they have fresh clean dry feed, and fresh water.

and separate the chicks and make sure no one can peck at it. Stop messing with it for a while until it gets dirty again. Messing with it too much is like constantly rubbing a splinter. It just aggravates it. But you’re doing the right thing! Especially separating them. Try adding pineapple juice in their waterers.

leylanat

Hatching
May 24, 2020
and separate the chicks and make sure no one can peck at it. Stop messing with it for a while until it gets dirty again. Messing with it too much is like constantly rubbing a splinter. It just aggravates it. But you’re doing the right thing! Especially separating them. Try adding pineapple juice in their waterers.
thank you so much for the advice i really appreciate it! the link helped a bunch as well :)!

Top Bottom