Help! I am astonished and need advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Back2MyRoots, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    I have been raising chickens now for some time but have NEVER experienced anything like this....

One of my hens (a golden comet---they are known for having some laying problems) has done something that I didn't think possible. She laid three eggs in one day. To be exact, she laid three eggs in a 12 hour period. And yes I am sure it was her. I had secluded her because I had sneaking suspicions that she was laying shell-less eggs. This morning, she laid a rather large and oddly shaped thin-ish shelled egg. That is not so unusual. What is unusual is that she laid two more shell-less eggs after she went to roost tonight. That's not possible. And yet it happened!

When I suspected last week that she was laying shell-less eggs, I upped her calcium in-take with more yogurt, cottage cheese and milk and oatmeal. Obviously it's not helping. Can chickens have the equivalent of incompetent cervix? It's almost like she can't hold her eggs until they are finished developing. Does that make sense? What do I do to fix it? She just so happens to be my favorite hen. Please and thank you for any advice.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a BCMarans "Mary" that has a screwy laying schedule.

One day she'll lay a perfectly dark gorgeous egg.

She'll skip a day laying, then the next day she lays TWO EGGS... One is light on one side and dark on the other, the 2nd egg is usually light brown with a soft shell or no shell and usually it breaks and gets eaten.

Then she skips another day and lays a wonderful dark egg and then two days later she lays two eggs, one of which is always broken.

I'm going to have to isolate her I suppose as I don't want to start making a bunch of hens become egg eaters in the coop.

I think I'll beg Boston (my friend in Heber) for a couple of his pullets....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Back2MyRoots

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    Oy. So have you tried upping the calcium intake too? Someone had a thread about giving them calcium in the form of tums. I don't even know if that would help. Is this actually internal laying?

4. Back2MyRoots

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    Since it doesn't seem like I can make the problem any worse, I have been feeding my hen cottage cheese with a tums ultra crushed up in it. So far it hasn't helped any. Yesterday she laid two shell-less eggs and today another. I am going to keep it up and see if there is any improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by