Help I am drowning in egg!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by oesdog, May 12, 2011.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Can you all give me some good advice on keeping and storing / freezing? Eggs. I have a glutt of eggs for months then for about 3/4 months nothing!!!
    At the moment I have close on 100 eggs in my kitchen - they are not in a fridge they are all about 10 days old. We will use the older ones for Baking tomorrow but I will get another 60 odd eggs in the next few days. ( We don;t tend to refrigerate eggs here in the UK though you do I think in the US)
    I have given loads away to friends and family but I really want to keep some for the months I don;t have eggs to bake and use for our own family. I hate the thought of Buying eggs for baking at Christmas while my girls get fee board and don;t pay their egg rent cause its cold!!!!!!

Oesdog [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You can always hard boil a few dozen. To keep fresh eggs for 4 months you'll want to refrigerate them within a few days of laying. If you have cold storage like a basement that should keep eggs for 2 months.

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Maybe you could sell some - I just got an account set up on this site. We'll see how it goes.

http://www.eggzy.net/

4. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want to use them in a few months time, you could always take an ice cube tray and crack an egg in each spot, cover and freeze. Then when you have a recipe that calls for an egg take it out of the ice cube tray, allow to defrost and you have the egg for your recipe.

5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:I was told whole eggs are not good to freeze and neither is the yolk? - I was told you need to put a stabalizer into them - syrup - But I have never tried.
    I have put my Bettys eggs in the fridge because they are really tiny poop eggs and I was going to hard boil them but when I did they were off!!!! Yuck!! Funny cause all the eggs I left out in the kitchen were just fine.

I don;t really want to start selling the eggs if I can use them for us!!! Nice to have the money but the whole idea is to feed us first them sell and I have months when my darn girls simply go on strike!!!!!!! Usually up to Christmas when I need eggs most!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Anyhow thanks for the thoughts.
    Oesdog [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  6. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I've been freezing eggs for a very long time. I've found that each cube is the equivalent of about one egg (I suppose it could be weighed in grams to determine exactly, but I'm too lazy for that).

I put several eggs in a mixing bowl, whisk them very well, then pour into the ice cube tray. Once frozen solid they are put into ziploc bags. They sometimes get a bit dry feeling after frozen for a while, but once "rehydrated" or thawed they're fine.

To use, I place them in a bowl with just a few drops of water (3 or 4, maybe?), then microwave on defrost setting just a few seconds at a time, checking at each interval, and slowly crushing the cube as it thaws. When thawed just enough to stir with a fork, I dump the egg into whatever I'm preparing. Doesn't seem to matter if a few ice crystals are still present. I've never altered the liquid ingredients when baking, even if I add a bit of water to the eggs to help with thawing, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

No one can tell I'm using frozen eggs. Once I even added milk as I thawed, then scrambled for the babies (my children-babies, lol), and they ate them.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    pickle them! my husband loves it when I use pickled eggs to make his egg salad sandwich and the kids love them for snacks.

8. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Cant DH is allergic to Viniger

Oesdog [​IMG]

9. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Egg cassaroles once a week. Freeze them & baking with them. If you are going to loose them boil & feed back to birds.

OR You could start hatching them LOL!

10. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:I like the hatching Idea but we will only end up with more roo boys and then I break my heart because the naighbors complain and I have to get rid of them. I lost all 4 of my beautiful roo boys - [​IMG] So no hatching at the moment.

I am going to try the Freeze and bake method as DH loves baking and uses the eggs but trouble is he does have baking overload sometimes!!!! - I'm getting Fat. If the eggs are frozen he may not be so keen to wait for them to Defrost - lol

Oesdog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by