Help I am showing birds.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Amerraucana101, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Amerraucana101

Amerraucana101 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2012
    Hi all I am new to showing chickens and I have 4 Ameraucanas that I would like to show. But I don't know how to get my birds to stand up straight while the judge walks by. Can someone PLEASE tell me how I can accomplish this?

Thank you

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    The judge will have a wand that they sorta poke at the bird, not hard just enough to wake it up. Most of the time they just tap the cage.

3. Amerraucana101

May 21, 2012
    So I just poke at my birds to get them to stand up straight and then they will do it on their own latter?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    You don't have to teach Ameraucanas how to pose. The judge will move them around and take them out of the cage. Really, the only birds that need to pose are Modern Bantams. Just make sure they are in the best condition possible. They will do the rest.

5. Amerraucana101

May 21, 2012
    Cool thanks. Do you have any more tips?

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's a good idea to cage train your birds. To do this get or make a cage as close to the dimensions of a show cage as possible. Well ahead of the show start putting the bird in & out of the cage several times a day so they become accostomed to the process. When you take the bird out of the cage open it's wings & handle it the way the judge will before putting it back in the cage. While they're in the cage give them treats: bits of raw hamburger, bread, bird seed, etc. Wear a white shirt or coat while doing this so they begin to associate being approached by someone in a white coat with treats. This will result in a bird that responds positively to the judge rather than one that's frightened by the judge.
    As a judge it's much more pleasant to have a bird walk to the cage door to meet me than it is to have to catch it squaking & flapping against the top of the cage because it's frightened.

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have a web page that tells you what you need and should do. I will post it when I get home from work.
    Michele

8. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
  9. Amerraucana101

May 21, 2012
    Wow thank you all so much!!!!!! Thanks mstricer for the link I will start read right away [​IMG]!!!!!
    Wow NYREDS 50 years of raising and showing chickens [​IMG]. Thanks for the tip I will start doing that today. I have a dog crates about the size of a showing cage so I will use that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by