1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help? I am so confused about about still air temps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melanie, Mar 15, 2013.

1. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Day 5, so far so good. I've maintained steady temps. Here's what I'm confused about:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"This is plain and simple, yet the MOST important part of hatching.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Still-air incubator (no fan):[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]101.5 degrees measured at the TOP of the eggs.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Fan Forced incubator: [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] 99.5 degrees measured anywhere in the incubator.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Humidity[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]: [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] 60-65% for the first 18 days, 80-85% for the last 3 days.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You can sneak by with humidity numbers that aren't very accurate, but the combination of poor humidity and temperature will definately cause problems at hatch time. If your temperature is not accurate you will DEFINATELY have problems at hatch time. The bigger the deviation from the proper temperature, the bigger your problems will be!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I've maintained a steady temp of 99.5. I have the thermometer elevated/resting on a sock so that it's raised up to where the egg is vs. being flat down on the egg turner.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Do I need to raise the temp since I'm using a still air incubator?
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Incubating even 1* under the recommended will delay your hatch by up to 24 hours, so if you could get the temperature up by 1* it will help. But the humidity they recommend is way too high for chicken eggs. Way, way too high. You will drown the chicks if you incubate them at that! You should aim for 45-55% during the first 18 days (or 35-40% for dry incubation) and up it to 60-65% during lockdown (65-70% dry incubation).

Here's a great, well researched article on incubating eggs, that I think you will enjoy:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Good luck with your hatch!

2 people like this.
  3. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Sumi, thank you for your reply. I agree, the humidity seems way off. Another reason I was curious if I was getting accurate information with the recommended 101.5 temp. Thank SUMI.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hi Melanie! Sounds like Sumi has it covered! What breeds are you hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by