Help!!!! I Am So Worried! Duck Ate My Button!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kikidee, Aug 22, 2011.

1. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    I have two 6 week old cayuga drakes <3 they were jumping on me outside and ONE JUST ATE A HUGE BUTTON OFF MY SHIRT. I AM SO WORRIED!!! what do i do i tried to stop it but he swallowed it so fast i didnt even see. omg i dont want him to die i love them [​IMG]((((

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Are you sure the duck swallowed it? Maybe contact your vet office and ask for advice?

3. kikidee

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    idk it was biting the button and the button dissappeared

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This too shall pass.

5. Annie75

Annie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

This too shall pass.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it's a plastic, wooden or shell button, it may not be a problem. It also depends on the size of the button. If it went all the way down the throat (were you able to see it go down?), it may just be able to go on through. My runners sometimes eat hickory nuts and acorns. Talk about scary the first time I saw it! One huge lump sliding down that slender neck, like a snake eating a bit rat! Yow!

So how's the patient acting? Shaking the head, opening his or her bill wide, like yawning? Eating okay? Be sure there's plenty of water.

I'd be more concerned with a metal button - that might call for a vet visit.

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Fred's Hens :

This too shall pass.

X2
    I have seen my ducks eat some interesting things. I go chasing after them and they run and swallow the rest. Umm lets see... plastic grocery bags, pieces of landscape fabric, clumps of stuffed animal stuffing (thanks to my dogs).
    Everyone has been okay.​

8. kikidee

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    Thanks everyone. The duck is acting fine as if it never even happened. It was a thin but kinda big plastic button, not heavy. I hope that doesn't change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by