1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!! I am Stressing out***UPDATE***PICS added

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lostdog, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Lostdog

Lostdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    My DH & I have begun constructing our run & coop.I could not be more thrilled with the run.It is built with steel 9 foot panels that are bolted together to form an A-frame run that is 20'X10" and 8 feet tall.Its better than I ever expected.Built like fort Knox.May even keep the bears out.[​IMG]

Now my stress is did I insulate enough??? I am in upstate NY.The coop consists of a sandwich of plywood;1/2" foam board and another layer of plywood then corrugated plastic roofing.I was only planning on using a bowl warmer in winter and a heat light on the coldest of days.

Do I need to use more insulation?? My coop is well protected by fairly dense woods but still gets sun during hottest part of day (with a skylight in the roof).The woods protect on the north and east and protection from a fence to the south and our house on the west.

I should add the coop will be 8'X7' and about 6' tall at center.I hope to have 5 full size & 10 bantam birds.All cold hardy only.

I am afraid it may not be enough.Hoping it is because the coop is half built.[​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Christina

Ok I decided to get a few quick pics just as a storm was moving in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The portion where there is no wood is going to be a "skylight".The round window in the background will be installed also.

Everything in the pics so far has been things my DH has floating around plus LOTS more. I just aquired the white corrugated roof panels form recycle which I had planned to buy.So it worked out great.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I live in Michigan and know what cold is. You have more that enough insulation. In my coop I've a thermostat that turns on and off at preset temperatures to control a heat emitter. I set mine for 36 / 40 and forget it. You will be surprised at how much heat your birds will generate. The most important things is to eliminate drafts.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a great coop! It might comfort you to install an outdoor-style thermometer in there to observe the patterns of heat and cold. We've done that and so far, we're thrilled with the progress.[​IMG]

4. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I am trying to picture all this. Sounds very nice. I do believe the layers of wood and 1/2 insulation should be more than enough for these creatures of nature.
    Please share pictures.
    [​IMG]

5. Lostdog

Lostdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Quote:I will post pics ASAP.
    The first day went better than expected but day 2 was slow.I thought of pics on day 2 cause day 1 was boring but pretty easy work but forgot because yesterday took a lot of brain power and a few gliches and changes in plans.

Today is Home Depot visit for supplies.The first $$$ out of pocket we had to spend so far.
    My DH is a real pack rat & buys stuff "just because its a good price.Drives me nuts!!!-Now its paying off--LOL I am happy he has so much good junk.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I'm with DH I built my 8x8 coop with salvaged materials and had minimal cost, then I blew it by buying an automatic door from Germany for $200. Good thing almost everything else was free. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by