Help! I can’t figure out what wrong with one of my chicks!

mfranklin17

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2019
TN
Hey guys! I had 6 pullets that were hatched 3/8. So they are 4 days old now. I had one pass on the 10th when I brought them home & now I have this other lady that is acting strange.
This is my first time with chicks so I want to help her the best I can. She won’t eat or drink on her own. She will drink when I pull her out and help her. She will eat egg yolk, but nothing else, even if I put some crumbles in the yolk. She has pooped a couple of times. She also won’t lay down. She is a little wobbly. She chirps away, and will follow the others to the food or water, but just stands there.
Any suggestions for what else I can do to help her?

Hi, and sorry you are having this trouble.
First your chicks may have been I'll when you got them, but if not I have some questions.
What is the temp in your brooder?
Are they shipped chicks?
Are you feeding chick starter?
Do you have chick vitamins and electrolyte? If so I would dip her beak several times a day.
What type of brooder set up and bedding?

Hi, and sorry you are having this trouble.
First your chicks may have been I'll when you got them, but if not I have some questions.
What is the temp in your brooder?
Are they shipped chicks?
Are you feeding chick starter?
Do you have chick vitamins and electrolyte? If so I would dip her beak several times a day.
What type of brooder set up and bedding?
The thermometer says 95, and they all spread out and sleep, so it seems like a good temperature for them. They were from Rural King, so they were shipped. I am feeding chick starter. I put electrolytes in their water, no other vitamins. I’ve been dipping her beak every now and then. I can be more consistent with that.
They are on pine bedding with a basic little watered and trough feeder. And an infrared heating lamp!

Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. I have sometimes had these chicks that for unknown reasons fail to thrive. Some pull through but most dont make it.
You are watching for pasty butt?
Well I’m glad I’m not missing anything obvious! I just hope she can pull through!
yep! Checking each time I’m with her to feed her!
The others are doing well!

One more thought. .
Make sure your brooder has cooler areas , put the feed and water in those areas so chicks can self regulate.
Of chicks are spreading out to the outer reaches of the brooder to sleep it means they are too hot. If they pile up under the lamp it's to cold. The chicks behavior will tell you more than the thermometer will. I hope you dont loose more.

Back
Top Bottom