Help!!! I can get my call ducks to hatching day then they die. WHY

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mcbirdlady, Apr 8, 2012.

1. mcbirdlady

mcbirdlady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    they are fine wiggling in the egg and then they just dot make the last push to get out. what can i do [​IMG]

2. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm, maybe you can help them i had a runner get stuck and i had to put a little bit of water on em to slide out.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Call ducks can have issues hatching since they have such a small bill. I have read of other people having issues with them not being able to break through the shell before running out of air inside the egg. Sometimes making a small hole into the aircell is enough to keep them alive so they can hatch but others do assist further with the hatching process.

4. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    I assisted mine through the whole process. Using tweezers and warm water , breaking the shell away little by little to make sure the yolk was absorbed and not to pull on anything that might cause bleeding.

5. mcbirdlady

Apr 26, 2011
    I have a hole in the shell and the only one left is moving his beek. when do i know i need to help more?

6. Tony101775

Tony101775 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I am probably so wrong on this?
    But, I help them.
    I had one chicken pip and then another and so on. The first was still struggling hours after the others had hatched , so basically I just picked the egg away.
    Her name is Vivian and she sits on my lap and lays beautiful blue eggs for me.
    I did the same for the duck and have it on you tube,]
    Seriously , if the chick is struggling why not help?
    I just be as gentle as I can and hope for the best.
    I wont let it just die without me at least trying.
    I havenet lost one that I helped, so i cant be far wrong?

7. Tony101775

Tony101775 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Mcbird lady

Get it out

Be gentle, but pick it out.

8. Beautiful

Beautiful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    McAllen Texas
    I was having the same problem with my mallards and just this week was able to get them to hatch and live... Its so sad when theyget all the way to the hatch date and then die.... I was about to give up on mine... I placed a smal hole in the air sac just before lock down and it seems to be working....

9. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    I would start picking at the shell to help him. Sometimes when you put a hole in the shell the membrane will suction to the duck making it too difficult for them to get out. Start picking away so you can see if the yolk is absorbed and spray with some warm water or use a qtip to moisten as you go. GOOD LUCK keep us posted.

10. mcbirdlady

Apr 26, 2011
    it didnt cause the inside to stick to them? i will try anything it is breaking my heart to loose this battle of the hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by