HELP! I can NOT get my humidity right to set me eggs in a LG

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by livin-green, Mar 26, 2009.

1. livin-green

livin-green Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    AAAAAAGGGGHHHH! [​IMG] Okay, I feel better. No wait.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Okay. I might be calmed down now. I am having major issues getting the humidity right so I can set my Marans eggs. I used my LG for my first hatch which was barely successful. I only had 4 chicks out of 12 eggs, but my temp & humidity stayed dead on. I figured that the issue with the poor hatch ratio was because there were "hidden" hot & cool spots, so we bought the fan kit and installed it. Now, I absolutely cannot get my humidity in the range that was recommended to me for Marans eggs-- 38% to 42%. I'm either 35% or less or when I add any moisture (water or a sponge) my humidity shoots up to 60-70%!! What the heck!

Last night I filled the middle & one side reservoir and the humidity shot up in the 60's. I emptied the side, still too high. Emptied the middle, and the humidity just stayed up in the 50's. It finally dropped back down during the day today. I tried again--filled one side reservoir and it wasn't quite enough--hanging right about 38%. I added a moist sponge--which I could easily take out if necessary--and it went straight up to 73% after 30 min.

Oh, also I calibrated my hygrometers & thermometers last night, and I am running a humidfier and crock pot of water in the same room to bring the room humidity up to 60%.

Anybody got any ideas on how to get this right? I have an auto. turner which makes it impossible to put rags, etc., in there because they will mess up the turner. I tried to provide all of the info. that you might need to know to give me some pointers. If I don't figure out a way to get this right soon, my eggs are going to be rotten! [​IMG] A couple are going on a week old tomorrow. ANY suggestions/recommendation welcome!!

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    When you add a little water, din't just take it out right away! Let it adjust; take some out, and if it goes down a bit, let it set and see if it goes up.

Come on people! Chime in here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. livin-green

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    Oops. I guess I left out that part of the info. I always wait at least 30 min. after each "adjustment" to anything--water or temp. Do you think that is long enough?

Usually I wait 30, check it, wait another 30, check it again. If both are good, I wait another hour and check once more to make sure it stayed there.

4. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have an LG with fan. What red plugs are in or out??

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I've used a fan in my bator and everything was perfect in 21 days I got 38 out of 40 eggs hatched! maybe something is wrong with the bator [​IMG] or something else [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  6. livin-green

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    Quote:The hole over the fan is pretty much covered by the fan unit anyway, so the red plug is sitting in that hole. The other one is out.

I tried filling both side reservoirs (not the middle one) and waited--looks like I have finally found the right combination. It seems to be sitting right at 41% for over an hour, so we set the eggs. Yea! Hopefully it won't go wacky now that we've added the eggs. [​IMG]

Sorry for the rant, it was just so frustrating...up....down....up....down....plus, I'm already working on little sleep since that last hatch when the temp & humidity were all over the place once the hatching started.

Thanks so much to all of you for taking a moment to offer help! [​IMG]

7. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    In my LG I fill up two water troughs (the middle and one of the others) I will go up to about 50% and then it will slowly decline. I used to fill up the middle and half of one of the sides, but it didnt last long. Goodluck, -Jay

8. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i have LG's and i leave the plug in front in place till day 18 then i have to move it 1/2 way across the hole to make the humidty stay where i want it. i run my humidty at 30 to 40% days 1-18, then up to 45 to 55% days 18 to hatch complete ( i live in NC) this is what works for me, and i have 95 to 100% hatch rate and hatch around 150 to 200 chicks a month ( in ten bators) william

9. livin-green

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    Thanks for the tips. I may still need them down the road.

william9792: Do you keep up with the humidity in the room where the bators are located? I'm wondering if since the room humidity is high, if I will be able to leave the plug out--especially since I already put water in the the two smaller side reservoirs.

10. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i do not add any humidty to the room, the bator with no water in it will hold 28% here in my house and when it drops down to 30% ( in bator) i only have to add one turkey sringe full of water a day to get it to stay at 35% humidty in bator. i would just let it your bator (humidty) stay where it is it will come down in a day or so, and then only add when it comes down to 30%, and then just a little water ( start with 1/2 sringe at a time with 12 hours between adds) then on day 18 place a 2 by 4 inch sponge in bator for hatch. hope this helps william don't stress so much and it will be OK and it will go up to 60 to 65% at hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by