Help! I can't keep my chickens inside fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by countryhen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. countryhen

countryhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I have a large fenced in yard for my chickens but they keep flying out & the neighbor's dog kills them. anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Only 2 answers to this question that I am aware of. A. Clip their wings B. Put netting over the area.

Good Luck and welcome,

Shawn

3. countryhen

Jan 28, 2013
    Oklahoma
    how much of their wings do I cut off? cause my fenced yard is large would be a lot to cover

4. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Cut the flight feathers in half.

1 person likes this.
  5. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I just use shears.... tin snips, or heavy duty scissors and the long feathers, cut them in half. If you inspect closely, you can see how far you can cut without causing a bleeding issue. Only cut the hollow part. On a side note, they do grow back and birds can jump a good way even if they cannot fly.

6. Hollow Point

Hollow Point Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    SW Louisiana
    Need to make sure and just cut one wing. You cut both and they will still fly over, one wing cut makes them off balance to make a flight in the air. I cut the featers all the way to the wing, they will bleed a little at the end, but it will stop.

7. countryhen

Jan 28, 2013
    Oklahoma
    thanks i cut chickens wings last night. i cut the long feathers on one wing hope this keeps them in I'll see how they do today. if i cut all the way to the wing & they bleed won't that hurt them? others have told me not to cut the blood feathers or they will bleed to death? I have only had my chickens about a year & have learned lots any info would be great. i lost lots of chickens from neighbor's dog & hawks. well thanks will let yall know if they stay in fence.

8. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
  9. countryhen

Jan 28, 2013
    Oklahoma
  10. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Countryhen, just curious - how tall is your fence?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by