Help! I don’t know what’s wrong with my silkie!!

sarahssilkies

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2018
NH
I have a white 20 week old silkie and noticed today she is acting very strange. This morning she came out of the coop on her own but after drinking water she would not move and hasn’t....

This chicken is usually very mobile and runs away from us never letting us catch her, but today we can touch her, pick her up, etc since she isn’t moving.

She is just standing in the same spot with her head tucked up under her wing. I’m not sure what to do....

I’m just nervous cause this is very abnormal behavior for her...

Attachments

• 502D841E-CCB4-4CA3-AEE1-C22E8734CEA3.jpeg
    502D841E-CCB4-4CA3-AEE1-C22E8734CEA3.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 21
What do her droppings look like? Any other symptoms like discharge from eyes, nares, wheezing, etc. or other signs of resiratory infection?
With young birds acting lethargic (sleepy) and going off food and water coccidiosis is common. Droppings can be runny, mucousy, or sometimes bloody (blood is not present in every case). I would get some Corid and start treatment right away. It's very safe so even if it is something else it won't hurt her. It's available at most feed stores and Tractor Supply in the livestock section, either powder or liquid form will work, the liquid is a bit easier to work with if they have it. Treatment chart is below, make sure the medicated water is the only water available. I would treat all birds that are kept together. Also give her an oral dose, dosing for that is here for both powder and liquid form of the medication: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Also give her some of the medicated water several times a day until she's drinking well on her own. Coccidiosis can progress quickly so the sooner you start treatment the better.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

Thank you for all this information!! We are going to start treatment with that and see what happens. I separated her from the rest this morning so I’ll keep an eye on her droppings and let you know

I have a white 20 week old silkie and noticed today she is acting very strange. This morning she came out of the coop on her own but after drinking water she would not move and hasn’t....

This chicken is usually very mobile and runs away from us never letting us catch her, but today we can touch her, pick her up, etc since she isn’t moving.

She is just standing in the same spot with her head tucked up under her wing. I’m not sure what to do....

I’m just nervous cause this is very abnormal behavior for her...
I agree with @coach723 it won't hurt to treat her for Coccidiosis.

Also check her crop - is it empty, full, hard, doughy or does her breath smell bad?

I would also mention that with coccidiosis droppings CAN look completely normal.

You might consider taking a sample to the vet for a float. It can check both coccidia and worm load.

If she drank water but didn't eat this morning... I would suspect crop issue as a possibility. You check it by feeling (or pushing/squeezing from the outside on her chest)... is it hard or squishy. Does it feel full of water or flat? Is she even passing any droppings? What color and consistency are they? Any smell coming from her mouth. Usually checking the crop at roost time and then again in the am before any food or water has been given will help for comparison and tracking size and feel.

I would bring her in where it's warm and I could easily see any droppings and eating behavior. Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

What do her droppings look like? Any other symptoms like discharge from eyes, nares, wheezing, etc. or other signs of resiratory infection?
With young birds acting lethargic (sleepy) and going off food and water coccidiosis is common. Droppings can be runny, mucousy, or sometimes bloody (blood is not present in every case). I would get some Corid and start treatment right away. It's very safe so even if it is something else it won't hurt her. It's available at most feed stores and Tractor Supply in the livestock section, either powder or liquid form will work, the liquid is a bit easier to work with if they have it. Treatment chart is below, make sure the medicated water is the only water available. I would treat all birds that are kept together. Also give her an oral dose, dosing for that is here for both powder and liquid form of the medication: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Also give her some of the medicated water several times a day until she's drinking well on her own. Coccidiosis can progress quickly so the sooner you start treatment the better.
View attachment 1623494
View attachment 1623497
View attachment 1623498

So her droppings are runny + almost green in color... no other discharge or symptoms. We just started the Corid. And she’s drinking water like crazy... haven’t seen her eat much.

Back
Top Bottom