Help! I don't know if my coop is good enough for my chickens... Ugh!

Rustic Chicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Where to start??? When we decided to "build" a chicken coop, we had a 12 x 20 shed that at the time we thought would be perfect to convert into a coop. Now keep in mind that we have only lived in our present home for approximatly 2 months. We bought this home on 5 acres in Kentucky with the dream of buildling our mini-farm. Chickens are first on the list. In order to recycle and reuse, we thought the shed would make a fine coop. The shed required extensive clearning and we really are not sure what was stored in their for the 15 years the shed stood prior to our owning the home. We went on our merry little way with cleaning the shed and transforming it into a coop. We put in a dividing wall so that part of the shed could be used for storage of chicken related supplies and the remaining 12x8 section remained for the chickens. We built in 3 nesting boxes, a roost, windows (although we need to add more ventilation) and chicken door and a 12x10 run. I would say we have about $500 in renovations at the moment. While it looks very nice, I still have some concerns. To begin, it still feels "yucky" in there (I think this may be remedied by a fresh coat of paint inside). The floors have some stains and I'm not sure what they are (I think this may be remedied with vinyl flooring) and I am concerned that predators may be able to dig under the run (again, can be remedied with burying fencing). I still feel like even with these fixes, there is the possiblity of things like mold etc... that we cannot see. So I told hubby tonight that I think we need to build a fresh coop. He is not opposed to this (because he is the best hubby in the world and tolerates my crazy antics... plus he loves the chicks too even if he won't admit it). But before we do this, I would love to know everyone elses thoughts on what to do. Am I just being a paranoid, overprotective new mom???

If you are worried mold I would paint with kilz paint and make sure you allow a few weeks to dry... Or you could use a bleach water solution and spray down the whole coop before painting... Personally there is NO WAY i would start over after putting $500. dollars into it..... I like the ideas about linoleum and fresh paint and burying a skirt around the run..

I really hate to build a new run also considering what we have in this one (although it probably would have been easier to start from scratch). I probably just needs a lot more TLC. We have sprayed with a bleach solution, but I think Kilz is an excellent idea!

I wouldn't build another one. I have vinyl flooring on mine and it's brand new. It makes it a lot easier to clean than a wood floor. Paint it, and make it a place you're happy with. If you're worried about mold, then I would use something like Kilz. (but the bleach probably already killed it all)

Oh yeah...a fresh coat of paint makes a world of difference, as will vinyl flooring. Both will brighten up the place and make it feel cheerful and nice
smile.png
At least try that before considering building a new coop...

You've done so much already, and many people use old sheds as coops (i'd used a shed that was made of logs and atleast 30 years old once as a coop - chickens did absolutely fine!)...Run - add 2 ft of wire against the ground, dig a few inches of dirt up if you want and then throw the dirt back on top of the wire and re-plant grass to make it look nice and pretty and not break your backs trying to actually bury it 2 feet into the ground, just as effective IMO.

Paint it with Kilz like everyone else has suggested! Kilz makes a primer and paint in one if I remember right? Use a LIGHT color! Will make it look very nice and airy, and also lighten it up so it isn't so cave like for the chickens. Again - like CoopCrazy said let it dry and air out for a week or so so the fumes can evaporate and everything.

Also, linolium on the bottom is a great idea or just add sand to the floor as it is. Sand is the BEST substrate - even in the bottom of a coop you can literally scoop the poop out like cat liter and it doesn't rot - drains well - reduces smells, easy to clean, and not hazardous at all if ingested by the chickens.

enjoy them chickens, and be happy and proud of ya'lls hard work!

It may not be pretty but the chickens will not know it is not a palace. They will be fine with the decor. Call it "Old Chicken Farm Esq" So long as they have a place to roost, a place to lay their eggs, food and water they will love it!

Now if you had your heart on a fancy schmantzie coop - that is another story..... Of course you will need more chickens.....and a small fortune... What I have learned is that their is time to change up and make improvements and nothing is urgently needed overnight. Take your time...enjoy what you have and collect fun stuff for the "new Coop" Pretty doors that you can paint up and make shabby sheek or just sheek. Enjoy the process.
Caroline

Decision made... I will keep working on the shed conversion and not build a new coop right now. Just a moment of panic that I needed to work through with good advice from BYC! I love othe idea of just slowly collecting items for my dream coop. I guess this will help me practice patience. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom