Help! I don't know if my eggs will hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VolailleAmant, Apr 18, 2017.

1. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Like the title states, I am worried that my eggs won't watch. today is ending the 21st day. Is it usually to hatch right in the dot of the 21st? This is my first time, there are 5 eggs underneath my 1 year old Silkie hen. I don't want them to be dead [​IMG] Is there any way that I can tell that they died internally? I have younger siblings that got into them when I was gone and put them up to their ears and heard movement.......can that have killed them? Please help me if you can!
    Worried without hope,
    @VolailleAmant

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What day did you put them under your silkie? Have you been candling to make sure they were fertile and developing?

1 person likes this.
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Are you counting the day she started sitting on them or did you start the next day? You don't count the first 24 as day 1. 21 days is the average if everything is perfect. Sometimes the will hatch a tad early, sometimes a tad late.

1 person likes this.
  4. kwphotomom

kwphotomom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I was just wondering this very thing...I set our hen on fertilized eggs around 3:30pm on Wednesday, March 29, does that mean 21 is Wednesday, April 19th or today the 20th?!

No pipping on any of them yet. I have candled weekly with the last time being Monday evening, saw movement with all 5 at the time.

And to the Original Poster...I hope your eggs hatch soon, hopefully our babies are just a day or two late cracking out of their eggs!

1 person likes this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Expected hatch day is the same day of week that eggs are "set". So if you set on Wednesday your expected hatch day is Wednesday three weeks later. You don't count the day of set.

1 person likes this.
  6. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    I put them in March 28th. I know that they are fertile. I haven't candled them because I know that my Silkie hen will take care of them if they are fertile. How do I know that they are fertile? I heard chirping and movement the other day! DI figured that I misnumbered the days.....Hope that is all!

7. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Thank you! I think that I miscounted my days by counted the first DAY as day 1. I just realized that. If so, today is day 18......Hopefully soon!

8. VolailleAmant

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Thank you! And to you![​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you set the 28th, your hatch date was the 18th :) If you heard peeping she's got some hatched under there or some working on hatching.

10. kwphotomom

kwphotomom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Thanks! I just checked on our hen and she hopped up to say hello so I peeked at the eggs real quick before she plopped back down. Couldn't get a good look, but I think one of them might have the beginnings of a pip! Shell looked sort of cracked in one tiny spot, but it had not chipped off yet so not sure if the hole is completely open yet. She wasn't off for more than a few seconds though, so couldn't see much. Hoping things get rolling soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by