Help I Dont Know What Is Wrong !! ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmlife4me, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Farmlife4me

Farmlife4me Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    MY DAUGHTERS 5WK. OLD BLACK OEGB JUST DROOLED AND HAD AIR BUBBLE COME OUT OF ITS MOUTH !!!!! AND THE RIGHT SIDE BREAST IS SWOLLEN !!!!!! ?????? ACTS SLEEPY ? THIS IS HER SHOW BIRD FOR THE UPCOMING FAIR IN MARCH....SHE HAS FEEL IN LOVE WITH HER AS I HAVE ALSO ! I DONT WANT HER DIE [​IMG] ! CAN ANYONE TELL ME IT IS OR WHAT I SHOULD DO !!!!!!!!! THE MAN WE GOT HER FROM SAID TO KEEP THE LIGHT ON HER FOR 1 MORE WK. IS THAT RIGHT ? [​IMG]

MY EMAIL IS [email protected] ( if I am not on here )

THANKS !!!!!!!!

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    First off, PLEASE CALM DOWN! When you type in caps that means you are yelling.

Second, I can't help with the drooling but I've seen a couple of my hens do it when they've eaten too much, which explains the "lump" in her chest. That "lump" is her crop and is perfectly NORMAL for chickens. That is where they store their food before it goes to the stomach to be digested. How is her behavior? other than the sleepyness? Is she active? It sounds like she's eating. If you could get a picture of her standing naturally that may help too.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It's night time now, so probably not easy to get details together on her. Try and answer as many questions on her condition and any other symptoms you have noticed recently that are suspicious and share them here. It helps to get a full picture of what's happening to help you with her. Check her crop in the morning and see if it has gone down to almost flat (that's a good thing). If it's still really big in the morning, she could have crop issues going on.

4. Farmlife4me

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    okay I can not load up the pics ! BUT I have some GREAT NEWS [​IMG] . Black Beauty is walking fine and even put a lil run around the room and pooped 2x and everything looks great [​IMG] ! Her crop is bulged out ( so is my OEGB blue ) I think I just over feed them [​IMG]
    thank you guys for reading my post. My lil girl went to praying over her OEGB and he answered her prayer ! GOD IS GOOD [​IMG] !! I will lookin the morning at their crop . How many times do I need to feed them ? THANK YOU AGAIN ! [​IMG]

5. Farmlife4me

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    oh I didnt notice anything wrong with her before everything went thru the roof !

6. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I just let them eat as much as they want (I keep the feeder full all the time). They eat until their crop is full, which is the lump on their chest, then the stop and all's good. [​IMG] They get sleepy the same way you get sleepy after a big meal. I know my chicks tend to come out of the coop at dawn, stuff themselves at 10, then nap at 11. Repeat starting at 1 and 5. [​IMG]

Eta- you should keep them on heat until room temp. First week- 95 degrees, Second week-90 degrees, Third week- 85 degrees. Go 5 degrees lower each week. At five weeks, their temp should be around 75 degrees. This is really just a rule of thumb. You're really waiting for them to feather out so they can get that bubble of insulation around them. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by