1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! I don't know what she is!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VespaGirl, Aug 13, 2014.

1. VespaGirl

VespaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    Bay Area-California
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Can someone tell me what this little girl is. She is so tiny and doesn't seem to get any bigger. My daughter found her running around in a park and we couldn't find the owner so we took her home. She is very sweet but my daughter wants to show her at the fair. I realized I have no idea what she is.

2. VespaGirl

Nov 2, 2012
    Bay Area-California
    [​IMG]

Here is another pic

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, she looks like a Red Cochin Bantam or a Red or Buff Cochin Bantam mix.

4. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    Looks like a buff bantam cochin. So glad you found her!!! They're one of my favorite breeds :)

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. She looks a perfect size for a bantam. Is she laying? If you ever want a hen to brood chicks, she should be your go-to girl. Mine was so broody last year she tried to brood in the feeder [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    She looks like a Buff Cochin bantam (but appears slightly on the dark side for a Buff Cochin bantam), but I suspect that is because the lighting in not real good in the pic. Good lighting in a photo can make all the difference in the world.

1 person likes this.
  7. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    :lau You just made me like bantam cochins that much more! My oldest isn't broody yet but she likes to tuck any egg she can find under her. I figure it's good practice :)

8. VespaGirl

Nov 2, 2012
    Bay Area-California
    Thank you! She is dark for a buff. The pic was taken in the morning and that is exactly the color she is. We have a buff Orpington and she is much darker and redder. So I guess she is a red?

9. VespaGirl

Nov 2, 2012
    Bay Area-California
    She isn't laying yet. She is too busy doing everything she can to get out of the coop!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If that's the case, I would say, yes, she is a Red Cochin bantam hen.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by