Help, I don't know what this is!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sara, Sep 25, 2007.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I hatched some eggs, some I got from jody (hinkjc) and some were mine. Is this an EE'r or a freak of nature? [​IMG] Sorry the 2nd pic is fuzzy, but it clearly had two little tufts. None of my hens have this. It's legs aren't green either, so I really don't know..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any guess as to what this little girl is, she came from a suprise special from Ideal.
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like you got yourself an Araucana with a tail =the ear tufts definitely ID it as Araucana, I think-and a Delaware. Looks like a pullet right now, but not sure about that. How old is it?

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Jody did give me 4 Araucana eggs, I didn't think any of those had hatched. [​IMG]

The white one is to be a pullet, I think about 6-8 weeks old.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yup, that looks like a blue Araucana (tailed/tufted - known as Quetros).

Jody

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's a pretty color-I'm partial to blue chickens, as many of you know, LOL.

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    The first two pics look alot like my EE cockeral.

[​IMG]

He was about 8 weeks old in this pic, if I remember correctly.

Dawn

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Well that is exciting! Like I said I didn't think any of the true araucana eggs hatched. I didn't even notice him/her until today, and thought what the heck is going on with that chicks head! [​IMG] It is so cute! I hope it's a little hen. I'm trying to think how old it would be, maybe 8 weeks?

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sara, lucky for you, I keep meticulous records. You picked up the eggs on 7/9. You should be able to put together your hatch date from there. I hope she's a girl too. Next time you come I have to show you her mommy, Bluey. She is tufted rumpless and exactly the same color as your young one. I looked to see if I have a recent pic of her and I don't. I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow and post for you.

Dawn, Araucana don't have muffs/beards - they only have tufts and they are a distinctly different breed than Ameraucana or EEs. Your blue EE is so handsome. I love anything blue. [​IMG] If I wouldn't have fallen so hard on buff chickens, maybe it would have been blues.

Jody

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Ok, going back over my info, this one had to have hatched under my broody. I think I put two under her, and two in the incubator. Anyway, they all hatched between the 29th and 30 of July. That would make it 8 weeks old. It's comb doesn't look very red at all yet, so i'll hold out hope that it is a hen. I'll definately be back for more buff orpington eggs once I am out of the hospital and back on my feet. I just love your buff orpingtons, they are so pretty! I'm so excited to have little baby buffs when i get home to play with![​IMG]

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Oh, and what type of comb will this little one get?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by