Help I Don't know what to do and I need some help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crzychicken, Feb 11, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    [​IMG] I was going to buy some chicks from someone on BYC, but their not vaccinated against Mareks or anything else.

Does anyone vaccinate their chicks yourself ?

Where do you get vaccine?

What would you get ?

or Should I not worry about it ?

The 23 pullets I have were vaccinated for Mareks (5 hen I was told by the feed store they came from) and they all were fed mediacaed feed for cocci.
    I can give shots I'm a diabetic.Just need to know where on the chick and at what age.

Thank you for your help.

2. Grant6411

Grant6411 RIP Steven

Dec 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    umm... paranoid! dude. idk if mine ever were, their fine and healty. i got 14! dont worry bout it. usually vaccines are given at birth, or b4 u order from hatchery.

dont worry about it.

"The 23 pullets I have were vaccinated for Mareks (5 hen I was told by the feed store they came from) and they all were fed mediacaed feed for cocci.
    I can give shots I'm a diabetic.Just need to know where on the chick and at what age."

why do you bother to check? its nothing to worry about. you are waaaaaaay over reacting. the only big disorder like thing u need to worry about with chicks is splayed legs.

3. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    i have seen a ton of antibiotics and such on mcmurrey website...hope it helps

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

a real hatchery that isnt just worried bout selling ya something you dont need,, would tell you, that there is NO need for mereks vacc. unless you have a HUGE poultry farm,, theres no need for it in a backyard coop,, till it gets to be around 1,000 birds [​IMG]

5. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I vaccinated mine (well got them that way from the hatchery I mean) because I had some diseased chickens in my old flock and I didn't want to take any chances, even though I disinfected as much as possible...kind of hard to disinfect your entire property with 100% certainty. All of my new birds have been totally healthy so far, knock on wood.

I wouldn't worry about vaccinating your birds if you plan on keeping a mostly closed flock--not showing them or getting new ones from auctions. I only get new birds from very trusted sellers or from hatcheries to avoid the disease risk. Learned this the hard way after losing my entire flock!

6. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    Thanks![​IMG] yhea I was alittle paranoid [​IMG] I was spilting a order with my Neighbor and she said she had Vacc.the chickens she has for newcastle/bronchitis / Laringopharygitis (sp). so they are carriers.
    I didn't I did for just Mareks
    I'm Not sure if that is true but that's what she told me.

7. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I don't vaccinate mine. No problems

8. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Quote:I don't know about chickens but with human vaccs you can get some shedding of the virus that the vaccs is for. It leaves the body through the fecies.
    I don't think they would be carriers, but depending on the nature of the vacc the chickens are given you could get some shedding with the poo.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    No, I have not had mine vaccinated. I have only fed my chicks medicated Starter/Grower. The medicated feed just helps the chicks build up a resistance to cocci. Mine are all doing well. I know my grandparents didn't even buy feed. They just grain fed their birds. The birds didn't even have a coop. They lived in the barn. My older girls are about 2 yrs old now and pretty much each gives me an egg a day. I do quarantine any new birds for at least a month before I introduce them to the rest of the flock.

10. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    This is what my friend sent me Is this true?

I vaccinate for newcastle/bronchitis and the other is Laringopharygitis (sp). Mine are all vacc.
    which makes them carriers.
    I guess her dad bought her some show birds and they killed all of her flock that she had ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by