HELP! I don't know what to do now

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HerculePoirot, Mar 24, 2017.

1. HerculePoirot

HerculePoirot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    I have a sick layer who was fine yesterday but at bed check she was facing backward in a laying box and obviously not well. Under her cloaca was red and swollen.

I brought her in and gave her two of warm baths and massaged her stomach and the area adjacent to the cloaca. Did an internal and could not feel a shell. I gave her liquid calcium (crushed up Tums and some water and down the throat) and have kept her in the house overnight.

She's still alive this morning and her cloaca is pulsing and dark red and swollen. She's not moving much.

I have no idea what this is and nothing I'm doing is helping. Advice??

Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of her vent? Did she have a prolapsed vent where the internal tissue has come outside? If so, keep the red tissue moist with honey or oil. Preparation H, honey, or sugar can help to reduce swelling in a prolapse. Take one finger and insert it into her fent an inch or so to check for a stuck egg. Is she passing droppings? Can she take some water?

3. HerculePoirot

Jun 15, 2014
    My poor girl died in my arms a minute ago. I took a picture of the area around her vent and it won't attached (so much for the iPhone when you need it). It was dark red and looked stretched to the max and the skin looked as if it was splitting but there was no blood. It was extremely distended. She had brownish fluid that came out of her mouth as she died. It looked like dirty water.

I've never encountered this before. What happened to her? I'll attach a picture if I can get this fancy phone to do its job.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know for sure, but it sounds like she was egg bound. The fluid that came out was probably a normal thing that happens during death since the crop can empty as the chicken dies. If you would like to learn more, you could either refrigerate her body and send it off to the state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy, or you could do one at home. That could help you see if she was egg bound, if her intestines were coming out, if she suffered from an internal laying problem, or if there were blockages in her crop, gizzard, or intestines. Many take pictures and post them to help others see what certain conditions looks like, or to get advice on what they are seeing. I'm really sorry for your loss. Below are some pictures of prolapsed vent with and without egg binding:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

[​IMG]
    prolapsed vent which can also occur with egg binding

[​IMG]
    egg binding with prolapse

5. HerculePoirot

Jun 15, 2014
    Yes, that last picture is close to what she looked like. But not nearly as bad. I free feed them calcium but they really don't eat much of it. I'll try mixing it in their food. Not sure of the ratio though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by