HELP I don't know what to do, they are hatching 5 days early!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheRedStarGirl, Oct 3, 2017.

1. TheRedStarGirl

TheRedStarGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    They are hatching early, they haven't been in lockdown yet, they are internally piping, and moving and shaking. I took them out of the auto Turner and put them all in hatch mode. I wasn't expecting to see internal piping until Saterday. Are they going to die? They are khaki Campbell Ducks. Did I do the right thing by locking down now?

2. Ducktown

Ducktown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    If they started shaking and if you see the internal piping, then yes, they should go into lock-down.
    Are you sure these are duck eggs and not for example chicken eggs? 5 days is quite a lot, I guess it's possible if they were kept in warm place before you started the incubation or if temperature in incubator was slightly higher. I hope they are all properly developed and will hatch without any issues! Good luck!

BTW: I have noticed a lot of egg moving around one week before the hatch day. They then stopped moving for a while and started again just before the hatch. If they haven't pipped yet, they have some time. Anyway, when they started moving, I stopped turning.

BYCforlife likes this.
  3. TheRedStarGirl

Feb 26, 2013
    one of them is a chicken the others are duck, three have piped internaly and the other 3 are now moving just like their siblings. the chick is due to hatch Friday the rest should hatch Sunday, unless I messed up the timing somehow. I am using Hatchback for the first time so it is possible.

4. TheRedStarGirl

Feb 26, 2013
    I hear some chirping. they are moving around

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Definitely did right by removing the turner and increasing humidity, if they had internally pipped. Ducks can take around 24 hours from internal pip, before they pip externally, then another 36-48 hours before zipping, so you could still have a few more days before any hatch. But it still sounds like they are a bit early.
    I agree with Ducktown, maybe the temp was a little high during incubation. Is there any chance the eggs were "pre-incubated" by a hen?

* I've heard that the Hatchbatch app is a day off. I think it starts on day 1, instead of 24 hours later (day 1 doesn't really start until 24 hours after starting the eggs), so that could be part of the problem also!

BaJa and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Ducktown

Ducktown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2017
    If you hear them, they should break the shell in 24 hours or so. Don't be too nervous if it takes longer, you can usually do more harm than good if you start messing around with the eggs when you feel the process is not fast enough. They will start breaking the shell and sometimes rest for a few hours before making another hole. Just let them do their job without panicking. Good luck and congrats! :)

8. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    You can't really do nothing now, put them in lockdown = suitable temp and humidity and I think they will be good. At least some of them.

9. TheRedStarGirl

Feb 26, 2013
    I opened it because I have no patience and was worried they died. I added more water to keep humidity up But the are all alive and 3 have internaly piped for sure!

WVduckchick likes this.
  10. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    It must be the full moon or something. My guineas are hatching 5 days early as well. waiting to see what my chickens do as they are also due Saturday/Sunday.

TheRedStarGirl likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by