1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! I dont know what to do....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lnm03, Oct 30, 2008.

1. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    We got our chicks from Ideal this morning and one of them has a problem and I dont know what to do.....Will he be ok? or what should I do. I will work on getting a better pic my DH sent took this one and I am now at work so I cant get a better one till later. He said the he saw him eat so I dont know! If you dont know which one its the one looking up. His neck is stuck that way and his eyes are not open either.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Give them some vitamins and electrolytes in the water ( I believe if you use the powder it's like 1/8 of a teaspoon in the little waterer) If you don't have that on hand try adding a little sugar to the water. Did you show him how to drink from the waterer? Good luck sure hope it's ok!

3. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    My DH just sent me another pic hope you can see better.

[​IMG]

4. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Did you put them in a brooder with the temp at 95%? Did you dip their beaks in their water as you moved them from the box to their new home to show them how to drink (baby bottle warm for the first day is good to keep cool chicks from coooling off tooo much as they take a drink and sometimes a spoonful /quart of sugar or a little bit of electrolyte solution is added for a little boost)? Do they have a little food scattered on the paper towels on the floor of the brooder especially around the food dish for them to peck at and learn to eat?

If you haven't done these things, do them now. Hit the search button and read fast if you have questions, but if you have done all this and it is still looking bad then I am afraid this is one of those times you may just lose a chick. It happens, they are fragile sometimes they just don't make it.

5. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    They are all ok but this one chick he his a bit deformed. They are all including him in the brooder with sugar water and 95* temps with food scattered. I just dont know what to do about the neck problem on this bird. I dont want to just say there is no hope unless there really isnt any. So I was hoping all of you could help!

6. Dorking Pullet Princess

Dorking Pullet Princess Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    Western Montana
    I hatched one out similar to this one and my little chick made it almost 2 weeks before I lost her. I have no idea why things like this happen. I must say I tried really hard and she passed with a full tummy and a warm brooder and all her brothers and sisters around her. I would not give up and pay extra attention. Sometimes you can make a difference.

7. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Oh I'm so sorry, I think you get points for trying, but I don't think there is much hope. It looks bad and even if you feed him specially and get him to live, I don't think he will live a very long or happy life.

8. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    Its almost like his/her neck is on backwards or something! I will definately try!! He/She can eat but we havent seen it drink yet. we showed it but you practically have to hold it upside down to show it! Poor baby!!!!

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
  10. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    awww.. personally, I am surprised that it passed any inspections and was shipped to you. Poor little guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by