Help! I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Xurypa, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Xurypa

Xurypa New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    So I'm a kid, and you know how kids are... stupid. I took my chicks outside to play with. I had gotten the chicks from my science teacher so I didn't know exactly how old the were. I was guessing they were at least older than a week. On one of the pages here, it said that it would be ok to take them out to play and explore about after a week old. When i took them in after playing they were fine. But the day after, when I had come back home from school, I saw that they were constantly shaking their heads. It wasn't like a calm nod, but like a vigorous 'no'. It scares me.
    I first noticed it happen when my chicks resided in a styrofoam box (I never closed it). The heat was just right, but I thought it was too bright cause of the white styrofoam. So i decided to move them into my old hamsters' cage. I use a 100 watt light bulb, not a heater thing.. But they still shake their heads. I also make sure that i change their water and pine shavings daily or when it becomes too dirty. I also provide them access to food 24/7. I had the cage in the living room, which was a little noisy, so i moved them to my room.
    I have no idea what to do. I think that they are dying. I also believe they are sick. I do not know if I should take them to the vet (I'm a kid so I have no money to spend). I think i am giving the what they need. Before they started shaking their heads, i would play with them quite a bit, but not too much that they would be stressed. They are still shaking their heads.
    Tonight I have noticed that there is a little popping or crackling sound when the chicks breathe. I don't know what is causing it... please, I need some advice immediatly. I do not wish to get rid of them nor buy others either.

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, first of all, clearly you're not stupid. And you know you're not, so I'll leave it at that. ;-)

So how old are these chicks right now, do you think? Can you post a picture so we can see the feathering to get a better idea? I'm asking because it sounds like your chicks have Infectious Laryngotracheitis, but if they're less than 3 or so weeks, then probably not. Do a Google search for this disease to get more information on it. Maybe someone else will have an idea of what this is that isn't so dire... (fingers crossed)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Im sorry I can't be much help but I'm sure taking them outside was not a mistake, chicks are always raised outside some of mine have never had a coop so don't blame yourself for that.

I hope someone can help! GL

4. Xurypa

Xurypa New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    [​IMG]
    These I took yesterday, before moving them into the hamster cages and styrofoam box and before their heads started shaking.
    I googled[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]Infectious Laryngotrachetitis but they're not coughing.

Here's a photo of them I took this morning (3/24/13):

[​IMG]
    Also, these are easter eggers or aracanas.

5. SaraChristine

SaraChristine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    Edgerton
    They're adorable! And I definitely agree! You are not stupid! Unfortunately, I am not very experienced myself. Hopefully we can get you some good advise!
    Do they have a constant supply of fresh water and food?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  6. Lots of chicks do the head shaking. Sometimes it's a draft; sometimes it's a reaction to noise. I have found mine do it more with louder, constant noise, like if the tv is on or there is a lot of people around talking loudly.

I don't know that there is anything to worry about, but definitely keep an eye on it. If they are eating, drinking, pooing, and otherwise acting fine, I would try not to panic. [​IMG]

7. Xurypa

Xurypa New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    I moved them to a room farthest from the tv/family room. I made sure it was quiet, and to check, I started making high pitched noises. Those were the only times they shook their heads. Then my sister started playing the piano about 2 rooms away, and they started shaking their heads constantly. I now realized it was only the noise.

Thank you very much everyone. :)

8. Yay! My third batch of chicks did this last year, but they were bantams, and our first batch of bantams, so at first, I thought it was something to do with bantams. Then we thought it might be a reaction to being under the vent. We moved the brooder. No difference.

Then we moved across country, and had entirely different chicks. The only time we have any head shaking is if there is a lot of noise, like the kids arguing. [​IMG]

So, the new rule is: no arguing out loud around any of the critters. The horses don't like it either. I'm hoping this will finally fix the arguing issue. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm glad they're okay! I think you're right about the age they were when you got them. They're really cute--have fun with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by