Help! I don't know what's wrong with my Pekin duck!

xangex

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 28, 2012
Hi. So she's not doing very well right now. She's breathing really heavily and can't seem to quack. She keeps wanting to walk around, but it's hard. Her butt is sticking up in the air and she's like... clenching and unclenching it. So basically the front of her is like on the ground and her butt is sticking up. Sort of hard to describe, but she's doing that and breathing heavily. What is wrong with her? I think she's dying, and I don't want her to die in pain. Thanks.

Oh, she's like 1 1/2 years old right now if that helps.

Last edited:
Hi. So she's not doing very well right now. She's breathing really heavily and can't seem to quack. She keeps wanting to walk around, but it's hard. Her butt is sticking up in the air and she's like... clenching and unclenching it. So basically the front of her is like on the ground and her butt is sticking up. Sort of hard to describe, but she's doing that and breathing heavily. What is wrong with her? I think she's dying, and I don't want her to die in pain. Thanks.

Oh, she's like 1 1/2 years old right now if that helps.
She maybe egg bound, can you put her into a tub a nice warm water? let her float around for a while with supervision of course. Alot of time being in warm water will help them get the egg out.

Quote:
Thanks :) We're trying that right now, so we'll see how that goes. She's been in there for about 25 minutes now. I also read somewhere else that you can sometimes feel the egg in their abdomen and sort of push it and help it along... should I try that after the bath?

Thanks :) We're trying that right now, so we'll see how that goes. She's been in there for about 25 minutes now. I also read somewhere else that you can sometimes feel the egg in their abdomen and sort of push it and help it along... should I try that after the bath?
So anything happen? you have to be very careful when feeling for an egg, you don't want to break it inside of her, put some Vaseline of olive oil on your pointer finger and also around and inside her vent then very carefully slip your finger inside and feel if there is an egg you may be able to help it out. you can also give her soak time as often as you want, just relaxing in a warm tub of water may do it.
fl.gif

Last edited:
So anything happen? you have to be very careful when feeling for an egg, you don't want to break it inside of her, put some Vaseline of olive oil on your pointer finger and also around and inside her vent then very carefully slip your finger inside and feel if there is an egg you may be able to help it out. you can also give her soak time as often as you want, just relaxing in a warm tub of water may do it.
fl.gif

Well we took her out and she seemed a little calmer and everything, but nothing has really changed. We don't have any of those latex gloves or anything so I'm a little skeeved out about just sticking my finger in there :/ My sister had her sitting in her lap and it hasn't been pooping, white stuff has just been coming out. Does that mean that she has an egg in there?

Well we took her out and she seemed a little calmer and everything, but nothing has really changed. We don't have any of those latex gloves or anything so I'm a little skeeved out about just sticking my finger in there :/ My sister had her sitting in her lap and it hasn't been pooping, white stuff has just been coming out. Does that mean that she has an egg in there?
White stuff? sometimes my ducks poop some white stuff. or does it look solid or mucous very hard to know since i am not a vet, but I don't use latex I just wash my hands real good and grease up and do it, it's just part of having animals. also try just palpating her lower tummy down close to the vent VERY gently and see if you can feel anything. Can you set her up in a dog crate in a very humid part of your house like a bath room, turn on the hot water and let it get real steamy in there put her on some very warm towels straight out of the dryer to sit on, your trying to create moist heat to help her pass the egg. You don't want to burn her just very warm. and as many soaks as you want too. She could have an egg that broken also, how is she eating and drinking? normal.

White stuff? sometimes my ducks poop some white stuff. or does it look solid or mucous very hard to know since i am not a vet, but I don't use latex I just wash my hands real good and grease up and do it, it's just part of having animals. also try just palpating her lower tummy down close to the vent VERY gently and see if you can feel anything. Can you set her up in a dog crate in a very humid part of your house like a bath room, turn on the hot water and let it get real steamy in there put her on some very warm towels straight out of the dryer to sit on, your trying to create moist heat to help her pass the egg. You don't want to burn her just very warm. and as many soaks as you want too. She could have an egg that broken also, how is she eating and drinking? normal.

Well, I was just out there trying to find the vent. I was having some problems with it, then suddenly it kinda opened up and she "pooped" (it was more a liquidy clear substance that anything resembling duck poop) a little. Then she stood there, and it looked like she was trying to push something out. I sat there and looked, and it had a sort of greenish tint to whatever was stuck right at the opening. I really wasn't sure what to do so I sat and watched, and I guess eventually she gave up and her vent closed again. I was scared to touch it because I didn't want to make it worse or hurt her. I wasn't sure if it was an egg or not, because it looked green, not white. What do you think?
She's been eating a little bit, I haven't seen her drink recently though.

Oh, yeah my dad would never let me put the duck in the bathroom :( . Now if I had my own house, I would put it in the bathroom, but he would never allow it :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom