Help! I don't know what's wrong!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbabyducks322, Apr 15, 2017.

1. newbabyducks322

newbabyducks322 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    California
    I have two ducks. I don't think what's going on is contagious because only one of my ducks is sick and the other is fine. Here are the symptoms of the sick duck: slow and weak, quiet quacks, stuff in eyes (one eye, only noticed this happening today.), losing weight, and I've seen her shake her head a few times. Also, possibly her feathers aren't as well as they use to be near the ends, but she also has been using them to balance when she trips over tall grass so maybe it's from the ground. I don't know what's going on and I'd love advice as well as treatments to help bring her back to her happy self. I'm so worried!

EDIT: She is getting weaker. I am giving her charcoal and trying to flush any possible toxins she could have ingested. I should add that she stopped laying. I know that might not be an important part of whats going on, I thought I should mention it anyway. Does anyone know what could be going on? Does this sound like any known sickness? Will she survive?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @newbabyducks322 Can you give us more info like how old and what your feeding?Bedding etc

For stuff in the eyes do they have something deep enough to dunk their heads into very important they keep their eyes and nares cleaned out.

What chances she could have eaten something toxic/plant or stagnant water or dead animal?
    Or possibly picked up a piece of metal and eaten it?

Tossing alot of questions at ya I know but this will help us help you hopefully.

3. newbabyducks322

May 31, 2016
    California
    They do have enough water to dunk their heads, though I haven't been seeing them do that. Their bedding is the dried up grass or plant clippings we get from out backyard. They are ten months old. I feed them Mazuri maintenance. It could have been something she's eaten. If that is the case, will she recover on her own? If its not the case, what seems like is wrong and how can I help her?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Do you provide any grit ?.....They need that to help digest their feed....Eating too much plant mater without grit can cause them to get sick....Hope it gets better....Grit can be small stones off a Driveway as long they have no oil or car residue...

5. newbabyducks322

May 31, 2016
    California
    They eat a lot of dirt, so I'd assume they are getting the grit they need from it.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They do need different sizes of pebbles to help digest feed....Ducks eat dirt, Rocks and all kinds of things they find...;)

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay if you decide she may have eaten something here are the flushes. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213 Please if you decide to flush her follow the directions to the T. I have used Activated charcoal only. and for upset tummy and when my dogs have eaten something nasty that gave them upset stomach. it works great.

I'd go over your entire area where you keep your ducks to see if there is anything you can see that she could have gotten into.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-falling-weight-loss-lethargy#post_13244769 [FYI]

Also grit is something all poultry needs so if they don't have access to grit then I'd supply it for them.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by