Help! I don't think external intestines are normal...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by numberoneaggie, Mar 29, 2017.

1. numberoneaggie

numberoneaggie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    I've only had chickens for 2 years and we just let 2 broody girls sit on eggs. I had 2 eggs hatch on Saturday and one mama is taking care of those. I put the eggs she abandoned under the other mama and one started a pip hole last night but didn't make it out until this afternoon. 2 others hatched shortly after. Once I saw the chick was out from the large side of the egg, I left her alone and didn't handle her or even see her other half. I did remove the egg later when I saw mama had pushed it aside and noticed it was kind of bloody.

Tonight, around 6:30, the first mama took her chicks to the coop and settled down in her corner for night, much earlier than the other chickens. When I went out around 8:30 to shut the coop, I saw the mama running away from the coop with her babies and knew something was wrong. I found a snake in the box with the new babies and he had one in his mouth. I could only find one other baby and I grabbed it while my husband wrestled with the snake. He saved the chick, but had to kill the snake to get it to release the baby. Once the commotion died down, I was looking for the 3rd baby and found it on the ground. It's a 3 foot drop to the ground from the box. She had something hanging from her that I assumed was the yolk sack but ahe was pretty dry and moving around and chirping. It's been bothering me because I'm afraid that I stepped on her during the struggle with the snake so I just went back out to check on her. She's snuggled under mama and moving around, but I can see her intestines and I'm not sure it's normal.

Has anyone had this happen? Was she born like this or did I step on her and squeeze them out? Is there any point to waiting to see how she does or should she be culled? I feel terrible because my 3 year old watched it all and the only thing that calmed her down was knowing all 3 chicks were safe. The last thing I want to do is tell her that mama killed a chick by stepping on it.

Here's a couple pictures that show her the last time I saw her as she hatched and one of the intestines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry.

I don't know much about hatching. My thoughts is if you stepped on her, it would be much worse. The intestines most likely would not be intact.

I really don't know if this is survivable. You may want to ask on the hatching threads. To be honest, personally I would put her down - this is something that I don't take lightly and very rarely even mention or recommend.

Hopefully someone else may have a better idea. If you do try to save her or want to wait, try to keep what you see hanging out moist so the tissues don't die or become necrotic. You could apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to help with that.

Again, I'm sorry, I wish I had better answers.

3. numberoneaggie

numberoneaggie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Thank you. My husband tried to make me feel better and said that he really feels like if I stepped on her she'd be dead. His theory is that squeeze out like that, I'd have to stepped on her head and her head is fine. I'm kind of leaning towards her being born like that since I never saw her whole body after the hatch and the egg was a lot bloodier than the other eggs. I'm going to try to figure out a humane way to put her down that I can handle.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I tend to agree with you that she was more than likely born that way.

From the many threads I have read, most people do recommend for a small chick, the quickest most humane way it to cut the head off. I know that sounds terrible, but you don't want her to suffer.

I'm sorry.

Here's some other ideas:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/ways-to-euthanize-a-chicken

5. newchicks5

newchicks5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    wi
    sorry[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by