1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help! I found a baby pigeon!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessica Thompson, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Jessica Thompson

Jessica Thompson Songster

Oct 15, 2017
    Warren
    so here's the story I was taking care of my birds and I hear squeaking and there's this baby pigeon running around so I had to go through a lot of trouble to get him/her but here we are now he/she is not eating unless I make him/her. he/she likes to be in the shade and has very watery poo my chickens are very interested in him/her I have a few questions like...

1. What should I feed it?
    2.how old is it?
    3. Should I raise it? or bring it to a rehabilitator?

Anything helps thanks!

casportpony likes this.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of it?

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. Jessica Thompson

Oct 15, 2017
    Warren
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here you go!

casportpony likes this.
  4. omlet the chicken

omlet the chicken In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2017
    Don’t handle it or worry about it two much it will die of stress. It’s probably just a fledgling leaving the nest and it is doing just what nature intends. If you continue to force feed it it will die of stress.

5. Jessica Thompson

Oct 15, 2017
    Warren
    This is his/her poo image.jpg

casportpony likes this.
  6. Jessica Thompson

Oct 15, 2017
    Warren
    The thing is... it's not scared of me or running away that why I'm worried about it that's all

casportpony likes this.
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are the parents nearby? Feel it's crop, if there's food in it's crop the parents are feeding it.

sylviethecochin likes this.

8. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    It's either sick or tame. Either way, it probably needs taken care of—If, as @casportpony said, it's definitely abandoned. Any idea of its origin? At that age, you can feed straight scratch—pigeons don't need a high-protein diet as, unlike chickens, they are herbivores. When I was a kid, we had a few, and they got very fat and happy on just corn and oats.

EDT'd because not accurate.

casportpony likes this.
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Call a wildlife rescue and see if they will take it, that would probably be best.

10. Jessica Thompson

Oct 15, 2017
    Warren
    there is some not a lot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by