help! i found a worm

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by newchixfarmer, Feb 20, 2012.

1. newchixfarmer

newchixfarmer New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    I am new to chicken farming. Had mine now about 10 months and they very in ages from 10 months to 1-2 years some I got from a friend the others when they were babies. I just found a worm in an egg and I don't. Know what to do! Its pinkish in color thin and maybe 2 inches long. I have never had this happened and am a little unnerved about it. I sell my extra eggs and don't wont to be giving bad eggs to anyone. Any suggestionsnon what to do would be great! Thanks so much

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Okay, I had the same issue. So you need a bottle of Wazine, it's a de-wormer that works on pigs,chickens, turkeys even humans.
    Worm them 1 day. Rinse the waterers the next day and put fresh water in with no wormer. Then keep fresh water with no wormer in the water until 10 days later. Stop selling eggs while this happens, and a week when their done with their wormer you can sell eggs again.

3. newchixfarmer

newchixfarmer New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    Thanks, My only concern with this is when I looked into th Wazine, it said not to use for Chickens where the eggs are used for human consumption, it didn't say to wait a week then you can eat. So I am on the fence with using it, not sure what to do, I am changing their bedding in the coop, cleaning the water and food containers and adding apple cider vinegar to their water.

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Yep exactly, clean the coop, stop any ways water can pool up in their coops, I know it's hard not to eat eggs when the chickens are on medication but its a good way to help them fight off worms.

5. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I have safe guard, Is that ok to use for this? I just got them so I don't know if this is a issue yet or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by